Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
WileyWalrus
New Contributor

No connection to Fortigate 200D through console

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Fortinet devices and got a Fortigate 200D for free from a friend to play around with. I'm trying to establish a connection to it through the console port. I have an RJ45 plugged into it and my laptop, using putty as the console software. I set up the connection as follows:

Serial connection through COM3 (the serial port on my laptop)

Speed: 9600

Data Bits: 8

Stop Bits: 1

No parity or flow control

When I open the connection, I'm met with a blank console screen. Pressing enter or escape doesn't return any response from the Fortigate. 

On the surface here, does anyone have any ideas that spring to mind? Happy to provide more info as needed

1 REPLY 1
jintrah_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Wiley,

The serial console speed/flowcontrol settings looks fine.  Does this COM3 connection work  on other devices or had been checked earlier? If so, you may try power cycling the device keeping the console connected to laptop to check if any POST messages appear on screen(and later get to login once boot has been completed). Alternately, you may connect to the mgmt interface set with IP address  192.168.1.99/24 via https/ssh from laptop, if the FortiGate is in its default configurations with username admin.

Best regards,

Jin

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors