Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Deca
New Contributor

No WAN connection affecting DHCP Servers

Hi there, lost our WAN connection due to a severed fiber line.  Strangely, this has impacted our 200E's ability to issue DHCP requests.  As lease's expire and drop off, users aren't able to get a new one.  Is this a known issue.  Hoping that when WAN connection gets back up, fortigate will return to normal.  Right now it seems confused.  Even when trying to look at DHCP connections through GUI is usually times out.  

Also, currently running OS 6.2.3.  Wondering what the most stable release is that we should look at updating to.  Hoping this might help address this issue.  We definitely don't have another rogue DHCP server on our network.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!!

4 REPLIES 4
Deca
New Contributor

For what it's worth, fiber line was just repaired so I now how internet again (WAN connection) and fortigate is now handing out dhcp requests again.  Doesn't make any sense to me but it's working.  Would like to understand why it's happening though.... 

aahmadzada
Staff
Staff

Hi there,

According to your description, the Fortigate might be acting as a DHCP relay agent for clients, that are getting IP addresses from a DHCP server that is reachable via IPSec tunnel.

And since the wan connections was down(and so IPSec), the DHCP server might not be reachable.

Anyway, since the issue is not in place, it would be hard to understand what was happening there.

Ahmad

Ahmad
Deca

Thanks for the input.  I checked all of our network interfaces both physical and vlans and all DHCP was set as servers, not relays.  We do have a VPN Ipsec tunnel for remote users but this has a defined range of addresses that it allocates.  Any idea where I could look to check this behaviour.  Note, I've also seen other users mention this in other threads although no one has really understood why.  Thanks.

vponmuniraj
Staff
Staff

Hi, 

Next time the issue happens, collect a debug and a sniffer. You may create a ticket and attach the info for investigation. 

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Diagnosing-DHCP-on-a-FortiGate/ta-p/192960

diag sniffer packet any 'port 67' 6 0 l 

Regards,

Vignesh
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors