Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Pablood
New Contributor

No IPSEC VPN Policy option with 5.0.4

We upgrade our Fortigate 60D to 5.0.4 version, put it in " Interface Mode" and create 2 ipsec vpn tunnels with 2 phases ok to connect to our old cisco router (using dial up vpn) The problem is i cant create the vpn policy for IPSEC, it only show me te SSL VPN options. We have a 60 C with 4.12 with this configuration working ok. Thanks in advance
1 Solution
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi and welcome, By default, policy-based IPsec VPN is hidden from the web-based manager you need to enable it before: System->Config->Features-> show More-> Policy-based ipsec vpns hope it helps

regards

/ Abel

View solution in original post

regards / Abel
9 REPLIES 9
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi and welcome, By default, policy-based IPsec VPN is hidden from the web-based manager you need to enable it before: System->Config->Features-> show More-> Policy-based ipsec vpns hope it helps

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Issachar

abelio wrote:

Sorry, I know this is a really old thread, but you just saved my day!!!

I just create the forum account to say thank you!!! :D

ede_pfau

One piece of good advice: please do not revert back to policy-based VPN! It has been superceded by the widely more flexible interface-based or route-based VPN. Do yourself a favor and stick to the (now not so) "new" method. You will see what I mean if you have to debug the VPN.

There are very few situations where you need to have a policy-based VPN, one being VPN on a transparent mode FGT/VDOM. Otherwise, I think, Fortinet would have dropped policy-based VPN a long time ago.

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Pablood
New Contributor

Thanks Abel!!!!!
Dipen
New Contributor III

In Interface Mode you have to configure like Normal Firewall Policies. VPN Policies are required only in Tunnel Mode. Moreover Interface Mode is recommended.

Ahead of the Threat. FCNSA v5 / FCNSP v5

Fortigate 1000C / 1000D / 1500D

Ahead of the Threat. FCNSA v5 / FCNSP v5 Fortigate 1000C / 1000D / 1500D
bmotamed
New Contributor

Hello

trying to create an IPSEC policy, vpn tunnels do not apprear on drop down menu list. When i tried to use cli, vpn tunnels seem not being on data base. Howerer, my tunnel are brined up ans the list name appears when i try list name on cli interface!

Can anyone give me a solution?

THanks

bmotamed
New Contributor

: my fortigate is a 60B and the firmware is 4.0

abelio

bmotamed wrote:

: my fortigate is a 60B and the firmware is 4.0

Hi bmotamed

in this situation this thread doesn't apply to your scenario.

Under 4.0 fortios,  route (or interface) vpn must be enabled explicitely under advanced phase1 settings; if not, the vpn remains 'policy based' configured.

I guess that is your situation and you cannot see the vpns interface names in the drop down list.

If you use policy (or tunnel) based vpn, you'll only need one firewall policy internal->wan, with action=ipsec to control  the traffic in both directions.

hope it helps

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
bmotamed

yes thank you abel. I must reconfigure my vpn not in interface mode to see tunnel in firewall policy.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors