Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
L_FTNT
Staff
Staff

No IP address after VPN connected?

I am able to get connected to my corporation VPN but an admin says it does not seemed to be assigning me an IP address. my client says connected but I can not do or reach anything. and without an IP o understand why. does this ring a bell of why? foes something need configured from the host server?
Ling Lu
5 REPLIES 5
L_FTNT
Staff
Staff

FortiClient Lite SSL VPN for Android currently only supports the web-only mode VPN configuration. In web-only mode, the FortiGate unit acts as a secure HTTP/HTTPS proxy and it does not assign virtual IPs to the connected clients. After successful authentication, the FortiGate unit redirects the connection to the web portal home page and the user can access the server applications behind the FortiGate unit from the portal. This requires the bookmarks for those server applications be configured on the FortiGate. Hope this helps, L.C
Ling Lu
FlavioB
New Contributor III

Hello L.C. So you are telling us that when using the actual version of FortiClient Lite for Android, it' s not possible to access the network behind the Fortigate as when doing it from a VPN-Client from Windows/OSX? Because that' s the trouble I' m actually facing: I do not get any means to ping or access servers at all. Routing table on my Android device also does not show any entry for the remote network (nothing is being sent into the tunnel at all!)... Could you or somebody else tell me if it really is like that? Thanks and kind regards, F.
L_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Correct. FortiClient Lite for Android functions as a local proxy on your android device and it does not have the capability of tunnel support as Windows/OSX SSL VPN client has. Therefore, using FCT Lite for Android, your device won' t have an assigned IP address. Regards, Ling
Ling Lu
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

it does not have the capability of tunnel support as Windows/OSX SSL VPN client has
just for the record, this has nothing to do with Fortinet/fortigate. To do tunnel vpn, the vpn client needs to inject a routing table etc on the phone and to do this you have to have " root" access, which you dont have, the same goes for iPhone.

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
FlavioB

Hello! @L. Clarke: thanks for clarification. @Selective: why do you say that you need to have a rooted/jailbroken device to eventually be able to alter the routing table? When I connect to a WLAN with any mobile device (Android/iPhone) I will get a routing table entry added. Kind regards, F. BTW: my Android is rooted
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors