Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
okoester
New Contributor

Newbie Question? Some trouble with firmware updates and other stuff

Hello,

I'm an almost complete newbie to FortiGate Firewalls and ran into some issues with two devices.

I thougt I'd put the issues together in one thread because I think they could maybe have the same reason...

But let me explain first:

I run two Fortigate 30E firewalls. One at a customers place and one NFR device inside our office.

Both machines are by now behind a (A/V)DSL router. Besides, the ISP is "Deutsche Telekom", and both sites are located in Germany.

Machine 1 is the customer's, machine 2 is our office device.

As mentioned before, machine 1 is behind a "FritzBox" Router delivered by Deutsche Telekom, machine 2 is behind an ASUS DSL-AC68U. Both router use an integrated DSL modem.

So far so good, both machines *seem* to work properly. But on machine 1 we dont get any firmware updates show in the dashboard but shown in the FortiCloud interface. Firmware state on that machine is 5.4.3 and I wanted to update to at least 5.4.6 or maybe 5.6.x. Registration process and FortiCloud connect went all well from the machine's web GUI.

On machine 2 I had the issue that I was unable to register from within the GUI and also cannot connect to FortiCloud. I did the registration now by hand via web. And I also created a FortiCloud login "by hand". But even with doing that, I was unable ether to register or to connect to FortiCloud... But on machine 2 firmware update from 5.4.4 to 5.4.6 went well...

I'm unsure if this behavior described relates to the fact that the machines are behind the router (which should not block any outgoing traffic btw.) or if it is maybe a missing firewall rule.

What could I do to debug the issues? Or what do I have to change to make that work?

And another (related) question:

I was trying to update machine 1 this morning. So I thought I'd download the new firmware and install it via web GUI. But there were three possible firmware files matching FG 30E, one with just v5 in the name and another with MI or MN in the file name. All with same release date. (Pls see attached pic). Which one do I have to choose?

Somehow weired ;)

Hope some can help me on this...?

Regards

Olaf

---

Olaf Köster

8S IT-Sicherheit e.K.

+49 2641 903 423

info@8s-itsicherheit.com

Several FortiGate 30E in place

--- Olaf Köster 8S IT-Sicherheit e.K. +49 2641 903 423 info@8s-itsicherheit.com Several FortiGate 30E in place
1 REPLY 1
NeilG
Contributor

Olef,

Regarding Registration/etc. I would

A) Make sure nothing is messing up the fortigate's DNS queries. Some ISP's get upset about upd/53 and tcp/53 to anyone but their own DNS servers.

B) Check out this "cookbook" entry to see if it helps  "http://cookbook.fortinet.com/setting-fortiguard-services-54/"

I would offer more, but I am getting dirty looks from the Family since its a big family holiday here in the states. Settlers of Catan awaits...

Good luck!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors