Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
agussalim
New Contributor

New to Forti VLAN

hi team,

i'm new to fortigate. i have fortigate 30D and motorola AP6521. i already configured the fortigate 30D and motorola to VLAN, my question is for the VLAN to work, do i need a fortiswitch?

6 REPLIES 6
Mark_Oakton
Contributor

you dont need a Fortiswitch, as long as both devices a set to the correct vlans, why do you need vlans?

Infosec Partners
Infosec Partners
agussalim
New Contributor

well i have motorola ap6521 that have 2 ssid with different ip segment ( ssid_1(192.168.1.xxx) & ssid_2(192.168.11.xx)) but motorola AP6521 have only 1eth port, that's why i created vlan on both unit. on fortigate vlan_1(on it's own dhcp (192.168.1.xx-xx), while vlan_2(get ip from interface 1(dhcp server 192.168.11.xx-xx). both vlan are on interface 2. i'm not sure is the vlan is working or not.

Mark_Oakton
Contributor

Hi 

From the firewall cli can you ping the ap?

Infosec Partners
Infosec Partners
agussalim
New Contributor

sorry guys, i know why its not working. forgot to enable vlan tagging in motorola. but now i have different issue. vlan_2 cannot get ip from interface 1. chat with tech they say need to do dhcp relay. is it?

Mark_Oakton
Contributor

if you do that you'll have the same range for both vlans

Infosec Partners
Infosec Partners
agussalim
New Contributor

okay. so how must i do it? i need vlan_2 to have the same segment ip on interface 1?

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors