Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nohoho
Visitor

New 80Fs, which firmware?

I'm brand new to Fortinet and am looking for recommendations for our new Fortigate 80Fs. Planning to open the boxes later this week.

Looks like 7.2.9, 7.2.10, and 7.4.5 are stable, and are my most likely firmware candidates. We're not a large shop so we just have the two FGs in HA. We also need VPN stuff and NAT. I don't think we have any fancy feature requirements.

I'm leery of rolling with firmware that released so recently. Browsed the sub a bit but still not really sure what one we should go with. This is going to practically be a new install. We have existing Fortigates that are not on 7.x.x firmware. The 80Fs will replace these. I have heard tell of configs needing to be converted, and our current config may be quite a mess. So this will practically be a new rollout.

Any recommendations?

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Your assessment is about the same as mine. Probably(hopefully) won't have any issues with either 7.2.10 or 7.4.5 unless you're using Duo for MFA, which we had multiple discussions for last a couple of weeks. I tend to wait until the version reaches .7 - .9 for each major version though. Check those release notes and go through "Known Issues" section to see anything alarms you. Just be aware those issues are highly conditional, of which conditions might not show up in the very short description.
You can always open a ticket at TAC to ask the conditions for any known issues if you have any concerns.

Toshi

johnathan

I'm thinking the RADIUS issue is why they are not recommending 7.2.10 in this guide just yet, haha: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Recommended-Release-for-FortiOS/ta-p/22717...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."
Toshi_Esumi

@johnathanI think more like this list is not updated yet because 7.2.10 was released about two weeks ago. Besides, FTNT's position for the RADIUS issue has been "That's not our problem", hasn't it?

Toshi

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors