Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Netbios / Windows Hostname across interfaces

Here is my situatation. I have a wifi interface that is able to access my ipsec tunnel to work. it is a separate network from my internal home network.... ex. home network is interface Home with network 10.10.10.0/24 work network is interface work with 10.20.20.0/24 -I have an ipsec tunnel titled work that goes to my work office (we' ll call it WORKHQ) -work network uses dns server on other end of tunnel (WORKHQ) to resolve work related host names of servers and distant end machines....hostname.domain.local This is all fine and dandy, but when I want to access my local fileserver, which is on the home network I can' t use my mapped drives because it uses hostname. I can access them fine by IP IE: fileserver on home network.. \\file doesnt work but 10.10.10.5 does.... Is there any way to make the interfaces share that information (netbios i assume) there is no dns server or wins server on the home side... I have found articles about broadcast forwarding and stuff like that but it doesn' t seem to work. I may be configuring it wrong though.. in short, i am trying to figure out how to enable 2 separate interfaces / networks to share netbios or local hostname information across each other...
Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
1 REPLY 1
Baptiste
Contributor II

There may be some options : - On your computers, add DNS suffix and point to your local dns (need to create a rule for this traffic) - use a Wins server - use you FG to resolve hostname (create a dns zone) NetBIOS broadcast don' t go across router.

2 FGT 100D  + FTK200

3 FGT 60E  FAZ VM  some FAP 210B/221C/223C/321C/421E

2 FGT 100D + FTK200 3 FGT 60E FAZ VM some FAP 210B/221C/223C/321C/421E
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors