Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Hracio
New Contributor

Netbios Forwarding

Situation: Small Company - 3 sites linked via radio links 58Mbps - Fgate device on central site - Vlans - ... and the problem: Obsolete software systems using netbios!. Software systems distributed in their 3 sites. Is it possible to just allow netbios broadcast traffic between involved interfaces.. until " system department" configures a wins server to receive netbios forwarding as it says in " FortiGate_VLANs_and_VDOMs" docs? Regards,. !
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable

i can' t say 100% yes but here' s my experience with FGTs and NetBIOS. we have about 18 remote warehouses using Win2K as their gateway and i was unable to route traffic from their LANs to ours. i have to upgrade to Win2K3 to make it work. in summary, Win2K uses NBT while Win2K3 does away with it (including WINS) so basically it uses only TCP/IP.
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello Horacio, what about " set netbios-forward enable" CLI command for each interface? (although you' ll need a Wins server accepting those broadcasts)

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Hracio
New Contributor

mmm, I did that only one interface (the one with pcs), i will enable on the server side. Do i still need that wins server? Their " system department" is a bit lazy.. and there are only 20 pcs across three sites, so the broadcast traffic is not an issue. I had to " make a demo about netbios" and why they must migrate their systems... just an extra work.. i see myself configuring wins service...
abelio

Do i still need that wins server?
yes, those netbios broadcasts go towards the wins server
Their " system department" is a bit lazy..
The same says " marketing departament" about us..

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors