Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
clfrancisco
New Contributor II

NO Internet Access after Setup the Static IP

Hi Guys, 

Good day,

Please help to solve my problem on my 60D Forigate Firewall device.

I currently avail a 1 Static IP addresss from my ISP Provider, they provide Static IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway.

But I cant access the internet using my PC that connected on the Fortigate.

May Setup on my home lab is (  ISP Router >> Fortigate 60D >> MY PC )

I tried also execute ping on the Fortigate CMD but its always says unable to resolve the hostname.

When I tried to change the IP on my WAN1 port from Static to DHCP, the internet access was working but when I tried the setup the static the problem will exist.

Thank you!

2 Solutions
AEK

Hi Francisco

I'm surprised that your ISP asked you what is the MAC address of the device! So what if you change the device?

First you may check if the static address has been assigned automatically by your provided, because some providers do that, I mean by DHCP reservation.

1. So try to restart your router
  2. The type the below command on your FG
    execute nslookup name myip.opendns.com server resolver1.opendns.com
  3. The output will give you your current public IP
  4. If it is the right IP then you are done
  5. Otherwise you need to set it up as explained below

Do you have admin access to your ISP router? If yes then you can access to the router and set the static IP.

Some ISP providers don't give access to the router, in this case your ISP must help you to setup the static IP on the router.

The above is in case you want to set the IP on your router, which is the easiest and a setup that you can live with.

In case you want to set the new static IP on your FG then you need to setup your router in bridge mode then either you have admin access and you need to consult the router documentation for how to set it up in bridge mode, or if you don't have admin access then your ISP will do it for you.

AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
sahmed_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello, you can try few settings below like:

- Checking ARP of the modem entry showing on the Firewall

- are you able to ping the remote gateway

- do trace route and verify exactly which hop is dropping the traffic

Security all we want

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Francisco

You can use the new static IP either on FG or on the ISP router.

In case you need to configure the new static IP on FG then make sure your ISP router is in bridge mode.

If it is already in bridge mode then the new static IP you received can be wrong.

AEK
AEK
clfrancisco
New Contributor II

Hi AEK,

I appreciate your response :) when I talk to ISP provider staff they ask me what is the MAC address that will enroll the static IP, I gave the MAC address of my WAN 1 Port of the Fortigate.
I didn't do anything on my ISP router.

clfrancisco
New Contributor II

Can you help step by step what I need to do hehe im sorry im begginer on this setup since I want build a homelab using the static IP.

AEK

Hi Francisco

I'm surprised that your ISP asked you what is the MAC address of the device! So what if you change the device?

First you may check if the static address has been assigned automatically by your provided, because some providers do that, I mean by DHCP reservation.

1. So try to restart your router
  2. The type the below command on your FG
    execute nslookup name myip.opendns.com server resolver1.opendns.com
  3. The output will give you your current public IP
  4. If it is the right IP then you are done
  5. Otherwise you need to set it up as explained below

Do you have admin access to your ISP router? If yes then you can access to the router and set the static IP.

Some ISP providers don't give access to the router, in this case your ISP must help you to setup the static IP on the router.

The above is in case you want to set the IP on your router, which is the easiest and a setup that you can live with.

In case you want to set the new static IP on your FG then you need to setup your router in bridge mode then either you have admin access and you need to consult the router documentation for how to set it up in bridge mode, or if you don't have admin access then your ISP will do it for you.

AEK
AEK
clfrancisco
New Contributor II

Yes im suprised too when they asked me for the mac address for the static IP, i think its a security purposes on their end. Thank you I will do it :) Thank you and Happy Holy week

clfrancisco
New Contributor II

Hello AEK,

its already working when I asked for help from Provider, We changed the mode of my ISP router into bridge mode. after that I can now access the internet using my PC that conneted on the forgtigate. :) Thank you!

sahmed_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello, you can try few settings below like:

- Checking ARP of the modem entry showing on the Firewall

- are you able to ping the remote gateway

- do trace route and verify exactly which hop is dropping the traffic

Security all we want
clfrancisco

Thank you for your suggestion sir ! 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors