Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Eric_Lackey
New Contributor III

NAT Reflection

We are moving from Watchguard firewalls over to Fortigate. There was a feature on the Watchguards that they called NAT Reflection. It allowed internal hosts to access other internal hosts through their public IP address rather than internal IP. For example, to access our mail server at mail.domain.com, our internal clients resolve the public IP of the mail server. This allows us to not have to maintain a separate DNS view for public and private. I feel like there is some way to do this with the Fortigate with Virtual IPs, but I' m having trouble figuring it out. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Lackey
New Contributor III

I was over thinking this. It appears that the Fortigate just does this by default as long as you have NAT enabled on the profile.
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Fortinet recently posted (or updated) a new KB for DNS translation that may be something you may want to consider -- I never tried it but find it somewhat nifty.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
rharland
New Contributor

Off-topic, but we' re in process for migration from Watchguard to Fortinet as well. Were there any significant platform-to-platform challenges that you weren' t expecting? Thanks for any info.
Eric_Lackey
New Contributor III

So far, I haven' t experienced anything major. There is one bug I found in 5.0.3 that makes it seem as though the LDAP settings aren' t working, but they actually are once you start trying to authenticate. If anything I' ve been a little overwhelmed by the number of features and options that Fortigate provides in each area. But, they seem to have good documentation on most of the features.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors