Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
theglossy1
New Contributor

Multiple RADIUS Clients

We are wanting to add about 75 devices for RADIUS authentication to the FortiAuthenticator. I want to use password-only authentication, use a particular realm, and apply a group filter to that realm. I don't want to have to do those steps for each device I import. I can see two possibilities that would be better, but they would both require some changes to the programming of the FortiAuthenticator:

[ul]
  • Instead of Client name/IP, you put in a subnet instead (e.g., 10.11.20.0/24).
  • You could allow for more fields on the CSV import file that define things like auth_type,realm,group_filter[/ul]

But I don't want to wait for some future version of code. Is it possible to do the things I want without having to tweak every single device that gets imported?

Thanks!

• 1 Solution
    Carl_Windsor_FTNT

You are correct, what is being requested is not currently supported.  CSV and API do not support setting to this level of granularity.  Please continue as suggested and submit your feature requests through your Fortinet rep.

However......

>Instead of Client name/IP, you put in a subnet instead (e.g., 10.11.20.0/24).

This is already being considered for the 5.0 release.

Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
    Carl_Windsor_FTNT

You are correct, what is being requested is not currently supported.  CSV and API do not support setting to this level of granularity.  Please continue as suggested and submit your feature requests through your Fortinet rep.

However......

>Instead of Client name/IP, you put in a subnet instead (e.g., 10.11.20.0/24).

This is already being considered for the 5.0 release.

theglossy1

All my clients are added. Here's what I did:

[ol]
  • Created a CSV with all the names and IP addresses
  • Manually modified each Authentication Method, Realm, Local User Override, and Group filter for each one (no fun)[/ol]

After I finished, I noticed two things:

[ul]
  • There is a "Clone" function on the drop down arrow next to "Create New." Too bad I hadn't noticed that earlier!
  • There are only 110 RADIUS Clients allowed. I'm not sure what license determines this as the only thing listed as "110" is the amount of groups we're licensed for.[/ul]
  • Carl_Windsor_FTNT

>There are only 110 RADIUS Clients allowed. I'm not sure what license determines this

>as the only thing listed as "110" is the amount of groups we're licensed for.

Check the release notes for the Maximum Values Table.  The calculating metric used to define the number of supported Auth Clients is:

Auth Clients = Users/10

....which happens to be the same calculating metric as used to define the groups.

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors