Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Advntrhike
New Contributor

Multiple ISP usage

Good morning all!

After many read-throughs, I don't believe that what I would like to do is possible but I figured I'd toss it out here in case I have missed something.  We have a primary and secondary ISP for redundancy, but rather than use the lines in a fail-over or load balanced configuration, I was thinking that I could use the primary line for internal traffic only and the backup line for IoT and guest traffic.

The end goal is to push streaming over the backup line and the business critical applications over the primary.  

So question 1 is, is this even possible.  Question 2 would be, if it is not possible what are the alternatives.  Throttling would guarantee my traffic, but might upset guests.

Any thoughts or ideas to try would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
ericli_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Advntrhike,

Please take a glance at SD-WAN feature of FortiOS since 5.6 released!

http://cookbook.fortinet.com/redundant-internet-sd-wan-56/

For any detailed points, don't hesitate to let me know!

Philippe_Gagne
Contributor

Hi,

Through SD-Wan, you can do want you want. Both ISP interfaces have to be member of the SD-Wan Interface. Default routes to both ISP have to weight to same distance/priority. ECMP (Equal Cost Multi Path) will be handle by SD-Wan. 

Configure SD-Wan Usage to 100% to ISP#1 and create rules to force desired traffic to ISP#2. If all IoT are in the same network or VLAN, it is easier to handle. Using SD-Wan Interface will reduce the amount of rules to Internet and the fail-over configuration will works on it own. All SD-Wan rules created to a specific member will be disabled automaticaly when this member failed and routes updated to the other members.

Let me know if you have any question! :)

Philippe

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors