Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gavinr
New Contributor

Microsoft.Windows.Update Block but Microsoft.Store Allowed

Hi All,

Application Control Requirement -> Block Windows Update

After blocking windows update (block Microsoft.Windows.Update) I can notice that users are unable to update apps from Microsoft Store. According to firewall logs Microsoft.Store is allowed. 

But, according to https://www.fortiguard.com/appcontrol/40503 Microsoft.Windows.Update is a dependency of Microsoft.Store 

Could anyone suggest how to block Microsoft.Windows.Update and allow Microsoft.Store?

4 REPLIES 4
mzainuddinahm

Hello gavinr,

Have you allowed Microsoft.Store in override list? Make sure it is on top of the override list & test.

Best Regards,

Mohammed Ahmed

MZA
gavinr

This is the Application Filter I am using.

I am not able to see any logs blocking too.

But when I full open (without app filter) user can download from Microsoft.Store

Capture.PNG

mzainuddinahm

Hello gavinr,

Since the Microsoft.Windows.Update carries dependency for Microsoft.Store, it may be using the same servers to update the apps which are defined in Microsoft.Windows.Update signature, hence is getting blocked. I am not sure if Microsoft would have different update servers when it comes to updating apps, it may be centrally used for all MS Updates.

Best Regards,

Mohammed Ahmed

MZA
gavinr

I assume the same.

Would there be any solutions for this? I mean block windows update but allow microsoft store....

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors