Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Aaron_Abrincia_Meimb
New Contributor II

Memory Usage goes high

HI Engineers, Would you able to explain to me why we are reaching 73% of memory and could it possible to decrease the consumption of the memory? Regards Aaron
Network Engineer
Network Engineer
17 REPLIES 17
jorge9090
New Contributor

Hello Aaron, can you tell us the Model and FortiOS you are working with? Do you have features like Web filtering or app control enabled? vdoms? You can check the performance of the FGT with FGT# get system performance status
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

So you are running FOS 5.0.9 on an active-passive cluster. Your FGT has a 4-core CPU. 73% memory looks like a bit high after only 16 days of uptime. After a reboot, how long does it take to reach 70% again? With which consumptions does it start? Please research the Knowledgebase and the forums for " high memory" . Especially in the KB you will find articles outlining steps which can help reduce memory footprint.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
hklb
Contributor II

You can check the top process : diagnose sys top-summary
Aaron_Abrincia_Meimb
New Contributor II

Hi jorge9090, Model: 1000C FortiOS: v5.0,build0292 (GA Patch 9) Web Filtering = Yes Application Control = Yes VDOM = N/A
Network Engineer
Network Engineer
Aaron_Abrincia_Meimb
New Contributor II

Hi ede_pfau, It takes 2 weeks to reach 70% again. 20% upon restart the device. Thank you very much.
Network Engineer
Network Engineer
Aaron_Abrincia_Meimb
New Contributor II

Hi hklb, Upon typing the command this give me an output. Regards Aaron
Network Engineer
Network Engineer
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Looks like the ' proxyd' process is started 8 times and eating up 3 of 8 GB RAM. Do you have UTM features active on a lot of interfaces? As nearly every UTM feature is or can be based on a proxy it' s hard to tell which single feature is causing this. I would definitely open a ticket with Customer Support to have this reviewed. This is not a regular usage pattern. Maybe the support person can scan your config for constructs that are unfavorable in terms of memory consumption. We could do this as well on the forum but with much less efficiency. I have good experience with CS, very high level of skill and devotion. You should give it a try.

Ede

Aaron_Abrincia_Meimb
New Contributor II

Not an interface but every policy has an UTM policy on it such as web filter and application control. Yes can you help to do it via remotely? Regards Aaron
Network Engineer
Network Engineer
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not mean " I have a very high level of skill and devotion" but I meant Fortinet Customer Service has. I would go for opening a ticket. The forum is not meant to replace Customer Service. Members are 99% users or admins but not Fortinet employees. Your Fortinet partner at your site who sold the FGT should be able to help you - ?

Ede

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors