Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tooleyj
New Contributor

Management Connection kills our internet

I have a 100D that is being used primarily for URL filtering and some basic firewall rules between our main network and the router for our Network Technology program here at the college.  I set the device up using a USB cable before Christmas and everything was working fine. 

Each classroom for the Net Tech department is on its own /24 connected to the router.

I am now coming back to this to make a few changes and to make the connection for the management interface.  When I plug the cable from the management interface into a switch that is on one of the /24 networks that are behind the firewall, the firewall seems to stop receiving traffic. When I remove the connection and reboot the 100D everything goes back to normal.  Anyone see anything like this before?

2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Network loop / broadcast storm?

Is your switch guarded against a broadcast storm, i.e. is (R)STP active?

How about the addresses of your ports on the FGT?

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
tooleyj

ede_pfau wrote:

Network loop / broadcast storm?

Is your switch guarded against a broadcast storm, i.e. is (R)STP active?

How about the addresses of your ports on the FGT?

I wouldn't think it could be a broadcast storm as there are only single connections between the router and each room switch.  The only place you might have a network loop would be from the Fortinet, but it only has 3 connections (inside, outside, and management).  I wouldn't think the management connection could cause a broadcast storm.

The only interface on the FGT is the management as it is set up in transparent mode.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors