Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Francois_Roussy
New Contributor

Mail caught as spam :(

Good day, I' m wondering how can I find the reason why an email (a legitimate one) was blocked by FortiMail.. When I look in the log, there is a policy column.. but where does that point ? thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

in the logs click on the session_Id link and view all logs for that session, you should find the reason there.
Francois_Roussy
New Contributor

Good day maybe i' m dumb, but i dont find anything to point me to the right place.. see attached.. I was using other system and it was more clear, but we have that where i am ,so no choice :)
baitken
New Contributor

The Classifier column will tell you what module caused the email to be rejected.
Francois_Roussy
New Contributor

I understand. but in that case, it' s a policy match.. but how can I know which policy blocked it!
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Yeah... that' s something I don' t see a lot of in the logs... This e-mail must be matching a sender and/or recipient poilicy which then has a AS profile configured with " Apply default action without scan upon policy match" ... default action being " quarantine" Policy IDs 1:1:1 so it' s matching policy #1
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

FWIW; Those id #1:1:1 means Access-controls #1 ip-policy #1 recipient policy #1 And keep in mind the above matching order is what and how it' s matched.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Thanks emnoc, I' ve always wondered what order those id numbers were in!
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

TIP If your ever bored and curious, just create new policies that are more specific for let' s say a user sender pattern, Shift the policies around ( move before the more broader policies ) . Send mail that matches the more specific policy and monitor the logs and policy id. You will see the results in your log I exactly that to ensure policies are being matched based on configurations and requirements. You might craft difference policies with different AV/AS features or sessions limits and then uses these in your fortimail. just my 2 cts...

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors