Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
DemianJacome
New Contributor

MULTIPLE PHASE 2 BETWEEN FORTIGATE AND VELOCLOUD GATEWAY

Hi guys! I have a problem with a vpn ipsec between my appliance fortigate and the velocloud gateway that is manage by my service provider.  The problem is that multiple phase 2 are generated until reaching the point of having more than 500. They are generated automatically, I only have 10 declared. 

Has anyone had this same problem? and how did they solve it?

6 REPLIES 6
kvimaladevi
Staff
Staff

Hi DemianJacome,

Multiple phase 2 selectors should not be created on its own, that is not an expected behavior. May I know the current version of the Fortigate. Also, did the issue start after any recent upgrades?

Regards,

Vimala

gfleming
Staff
Staff

What does your phase2 config look like?

Cheers,
Graham
StefanZ
New Contributor

We have experienced a similiar issue - not with Velocloud, but with a Sophos XG on the other end.
Although only two Phase2 Selectors are configured for this particular VPN-Tunnel, after a while we have seen 16 Phase2 Selectors at the VPN-Tunnel Table. The most interesting part is, that the additional Phase2 Selectos shows a ProxyID with a IP from the local subnet. Every additional Phase2 Selector has a unique Proxy-ID IP. No idea where this comes from...

pminarik
Staff
Staff

Any chance you're using IKEv2? IKEv2 natively allows selector narrowing (negotiating a phase2 as a sub-set of the configured range). This could even lead to individual host-to-host selectors/phase2s, so if you're using IKEv2, this will heavily depend on what the two sides are negotiating.

[ corrections always welcome ]
StefanZ

Thank you fort that hint. IKEv2 is in use indeed. As the other end is extenally managed, I have only limited options to check what both sites are doing. However - a solid foundation talking to the other end ;) - Again - Thank you

pminarik

I would expect ike -1 debug to give some ideas as to how these selectors came to be. If the issue is reproducible, you can take the tunnel down, enable the debugs, then bring it up and gather the logs. If you're not comfortable with parsing the outputs (it's not always pleasant :) ), you could open a TAC case to get help with understanding the logs, which will hopefully explain how the multiple phase2 SA come to be.

[ corrections always welcome ]
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors