Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Silver
New Contributor

MPLS failover with a backup site to site vpn

I have a head office and a remote branch with each connected via MPLS Link and each site with a separate dedicated internet connection. Both site with fortigate I want to use the mpls link as the primary and the site to site vpn as backup. If my mpls link goes down then it should failover automatically to the vpn tunnel and when the mpls link back to normal then it should revert back again to the primary mpls link.

Can someone tell me how to  configure it.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Are the MPLS line terminated at the  remote/head-end via  fortigates today? Do you share or pick up routes  via the MPLS provider via a dynamic routing protocol ( ospf/bgp ) ?

A simple site-2-site vpn would be ideal, and with the metric added to make the routes less preferred is the way to provide quick convergence.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Silver
New Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, The MPLS router connected via fortinet

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

So how do you learn routes via the MPLS provider ?  static ? or Dynamic  ( ospf, bgp,rip,etc....)?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Silver
New Contributor

static route

jb_kalm
Contributor

Hi, I'm just wondering if you can use Dead Gateway Detection as well with this scenario... seeing that your MPLS routes are static and the MPLS link would be the primary.

Thanks,

jb

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors