Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MarkP
New Contributor

MC4200 cannot ping APs

HI

We've just had our MC4200 RMA'd The new one is up and running but out of 68 APs it can only talk to two.

None of the others can be pinged from the controller. They can ALL be pinged from my computer. My computer can also ping the controller and the controller can ping my computer.

All the APs are on the same subnet as the controller. I can't think of any reason why the controller cannot talk to them when a computer on a different subnet can.

We also have a box called an SA250 sitting under the MC4200. I have no idea what it is or what it does and I have never connected to it. I tried to get to it's web interface today (assuming it has one) and that does not work. It is also on the same subnet as the APs and the controller but the controller CAN ping this box.

Since the replacement MC4200 was installed all the POE switches onsite have been rebooted which should have rebooted all the APs. I have also turned off and on one of the switch ports connected to one of the APs and watched the pings stop and start working again from my computer. Still nothing.

Absolutely no idea what's going on.

Any ideas?

Do the APs have their own web interface? Is there a way to connect to them over IP without using a console cable?

Suggestions gratefully received!

1 Solution
vtonta

Hi Mark,

The FWLC - 7.0 images are still available on our support portal: 

vtonta_0-1647334042805.png

Regards,
Venkatesh

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello MarkP, 

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible. 

Thanks, 

Fortinet Community Team 

vtonta
Staff
Staff

Hi Mark,

As per your comment about only 2 APs coming up online the MC4200, I suspect the 4200 could be running on an old SD version where we used to have license enforcement.

SSH to the MC4200,

#show controller
#show flash
#sh file system

You can refer our FWLC release notes and upgrade the MC4200.

Regarding the SA250, it is a Network Manager to which the Controllers can send the station data and many other details.

https://support.fortinet.com/Download/FirmwareImages.aspx

MC4200 - [ Product category: FWLC-SD ]

SA250 - [ Product category: FWLM ]

Regards,

Venkatesh

MarkP
New Contributor

Hi

Thanks for this. Indeed - we have realised this ourselves now. Our problem is that our version is so old that we cannot directly upgrade to the latest versions. We have to go through several intermediate versions first. Our original version was 6.1-2-29. This has been upgraded to 6.1-4-2. This should allow us to upgrade to one of the version 7 files. The problem is I cannot find this anywhere. Fortinet support have told me it is on the website but as far as I can tell the oldest version available is one of the version 8 iterations. If anyone can point me to where I can get a version of version 7 then I think we should be able to get up and running.

Since upgrading to 6.1-4-2 I have noticed a problem connecting to the webgui. I get constant security error messages telling me that the site is not TLS1.2 compatible. I am only currently able to connect to the box using IE11.... I am hoping this is resolved if I ever get to 7 or above.

Thanks

vtonta

Hi Mark,

The FWLC - 7.0 images are still available on our support portal: 

vtonta_0-1647334042805.png

Regards,
Venkatesh

MarkP
New Contributor

Thanks - I did manage to find them yesterday and the box is back up and running.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors