Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RolandBaumgaertner72
New Contributor II

Lost super_admin - how to exec factoryreset?

Hi,

we have a HA config where sometime ago we backup them up with the wrong prof-admin. So now we dont have any super_admin accounts and the FGs have 7.4.3 so no maintainer option, right?

I was thinking of changing the cnfig file, restore a new master config with super_admin instead of prof_admin in the admin accounts and change slave to master, reset master and set up new HA.

Now I found out that I cant execute factoryreset, I connected via console and I guess again admin rights.

What can I do?

Thanks

1 Solution
sw2090
Honored Contributor

In this case there is two options:

1) use the reset button - if your FGT happens to have one. Press it within the first 2min after startup and watch your serial console. It will then perform factory reset.

2) if there is no reset button the only way will be to format the boot partition which afterwards will require you to flash new firmware image via tftp.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
3 REPLIES 3
sw2090
Honored Contributor

In this case there is two options:

1) use the reset button - if your FGT happens to have one. Press it within the first 2min after startup and watch your serial console. It will then perform factory reset.

2) if there is no reset button the only way will be to format the boot partition which afterwards will require you to flash new firmware image via tftp.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @RolandBaumgaertner72 ,

If your unit has a reset button you can use this button for factory reset.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-To-Reset-To-Factory-Default-Configurat...

Or you can reset your unit with boot interrupt. You can install a new image on your unit with TFTP.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Formatting-and-loading-FortiGate-firmware-...

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
RolandBaumgaertner72
New Contributor II

Perfect, we have 81E and they have reset button. It worked, loaded the config file with super _admins and now we only have to add the slave again.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors