Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RolandBaumgaertner72
Contributor

Lost connection to Slave after Update

Hello,

this morning we decided to update a FG80F cluster from 7.4.4 to 7.4.5.

Stupid from my side, I did not check if the HA was synced and I did not notice anything wrong. I uploaded 7.4.5 and I lost access to the FG so that the Slave did not enter in the game.

After restart of the master we still had no sign of the slave. Since this is a remote side I asked a person to remove all cables from the slave unit and try to connect via port 1 LAN but there is no ping. Than we restarted the slave thinking that it might start as master but still no access. This unit for sure did not update to 7.4.5 and being with another OS it will not work in the HA anymore.

Any ideas to solve this? At the end there is just the option to access via console? Only change to reset and start HA over?

Thanks!

25 REPLIES 25
AEK

Also please provide this output from the primary.

get system startup-error-log

AEK
AEK
RolandBaumgaertner72
Contributor

Hi,

but how do I get the log, I dont want to restart not knowing the failover works fine...also not now in Business Hours.

HA_Failure.pngThanks,

Roland

AEK

Hi Roland

Thanks for the screenshot. It shows there is only one non-important section that is not synced. This should not be hard to fix.

You don't need to restart the primary. Just enter the command "get system startup-error-log" and share the output. It will show if there is an anomaly in this section due to some upgrade you may have done before.

AEK
AEK
AEK

The good news is that your cluster is already HA. It means in case your primary goes down then your secondary will take over.

AEK
AEK
AEK

You should be able to fix it just by entering this command in the primary node:

config system custom-language
edit "en"
 set filename "en"
 set comments ''
next
edit "fr"
set filename "fr"
set comments ''
next
edit "sp"
set filename "sp"
set comments ''
next
edit "pg"
set filename "pg"
set comments ''
next
edit "x-sjis"
set filename "x-sjis"
set comments ''
next
edit "big5"
set filename "big5"
set comments ''
next
edit "GB2312"
set filename "GB2312"
set comments ''
next
edit "euc-kr"
set filename "euc-kr"
set comments ''
next
end

Then:

diag sys ha checksum recalculate

AEK
AEK
RolandBaumgaertner72
Contributor

Hi,

we found some suggestions on Reddit and in some cases it got solved with a reboot of the master unit. So we did that and the Slave took over without any problems. So the HA failure is working. After the Master rebooted we waited like 10mins but there is still the NO SYNC of the custom language line. We also did on both units diagnose sys ha checksum recalculate but it is still the same.

I never did changes on the config on an active unit so I dont know if it risky or not?

No other option? Stupid bug, no? I mean both units were updated to 7.4.5, why is this field different?

Thanks

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors