Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
HT_JDC
New Contributor II

Loopback Address at SD-WAN

Hello Experts,

This may be a basic item.

Why is Loopback Address necessary at SD-WAN?

Is it used for SLA? If SLA is not important, can we omit it?

Thanks in advance,

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

The SD-WAN itself shouldn't require a loopback interface/address on a FGT. But if you have set up two FGTs connected together over multiple VPNs and you put the multiple VPNs in an SD-WAN zone, you might want to set up a common interface/IP on the remote end to ping to with a performance SLA health-check rules so that the local end can measure which path/VPN is the best at a time in order to prefer that path.

My home FGT has SD-WAN for internet traffic steered but no VPNs to the other FGT is a member of a zone. So I don't have/need any loopback interface.

Toshi 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

The SD-WAN itself shouldn't require a loopback interface/address on a FGT. But if you have set up two FGTs connected together over multiple VPNs and you put the multiple VPNs in an SD-WAN zone, you might want to set up a common interface/IP on the remote end to ping to with a performance SLA health-check rules so that the local end can measure which path/VPN is the best at a time in order to prefer that path.

My home FGT has SD-WAN for internet traffic steered but no VPNs to the other FGT is a member of a zone. So I don't have/need any loopback interface.

Toshi 

HT_JDC
New Contributor II

Dear Toshi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I understood it.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors