Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Abdulc
New Contributor

Login to Azure fortigate after a factory reset

Hi all,

I decided to run a factory reset to an azure fortigate, to avoid license problems deploying new one.

But after the factory reset the default admin without password is not working, how can I login now to the fortigate.

I triyed to reset the password from Azure without success.

Thanks

2 Solutions
lpizziniaco
Staff
Staff

Hello Guys, 
From a general Azure point of view you can always reset the password of a VM by doing the following command in the Azure Console, it is a little extreme but it helps also with FGT VM  

az vm user update -n {vm name} -g {resource group name} -u {username} -p {password}

and then try to connect again 

Hope this help 
Luca 

Luca Pizziniaco

View solution in original post

Muhammad_Haiqal

Hi @Abdulc ,

For Azure platform, please reset using the Azure platform itself.
You may login to the Fortigate using the credential that you created during the initial deployment for this FortigateVM.

haiqal

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
fricci_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi @Abdulc ,

I guess you already tried with previous credentials.

If you lose the admin password you can try to recover/reset FortiGate access using the maintainer account (if FortiOS older than 7.2.4): https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Resetting-a-lost-admin-password/ta-p/19704...
If you are able to connect to console the procedure might work in Azure as well, I am unable to try it as I do not have an Azure account.

In the guide below I could not find anything related to that:
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate-public-cloud/7.0.0/azure-administration-guide/598754/de...

Regards,

---
If you have found a useful article or a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
Abdulc

Hi @fricci_FTNT,

Thanks for your response, sorry I forget to write the fgt version, it is 7.4.1, so maintainer account is not working, also'd also try that with bcpb<SN> password without success.

I'v also checked the Azure documentation for a response and none found.

Any other ideas/solutions? Is there any way to replatform the VM maintaining the SN?

Thanks

fricci_FTNT

Hi @Abdulc,

I am not an expert on Azure so I am unable to help you further on that, thank you for your understanding. I hope one of my colleagues on this forum will help you more effectively :)

Best regards,

---
If you have found a useful article or a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
lpizziniaco
Staff
Staff

Hello Guys, 
From a general Azure point of view you can always reset the password of a VM by doing the following command in the Azure Console, it is a little extreme but it helps also with FGT VM  

az vm user update -n {vm name} -g {resource group name} -u {username} -p {password}

and then try to connect again 

Hope this help 
Luca 

Luca Pizziniaco
Muhammad_Haiqal

Hi @Abdulc ,

For Azure platform, please reset using the Azure platform itself.
You may login to the Fortigate using the credential that you created during the initial deployment for this FortigateVM.

haiqal
Muhammad_Haiqal

Here is the screenshot:

Azure.png

haiqal
Abdulc
New Contributor

That worked like a charm! I'v tryed before with the username previous to the factory reset and fails, with admin user worked perfectly.

Thanks!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors