Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
krichardson
New Contributor

Link Aggregation for Main Interface

Hi, I have a 100E and Linked two ports together under LA. After doing so I created two VLAN interfaces under the LA Interface:  LAN (VLAN1) 192.168.1.1/24  Voice (VLAN20) 192.168.20.1/24 The Link Aggregate interface has a 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 IP. Does it need an IP address in order to route? LA runs on layer 2 so I thought it wouldn't need one as long as the VLAN interfaces under it had proper gateways. I'm testing pinging from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.20.1 and am Unable to. I did create the IPv4 Policies for Inter-vlan communication, but no dice. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Kirk

4 REPLIES 4
orani
Contributor II

You have to configure LAG to your switch too. Also you have to configure the vlans to your switch too and make the LAG interface at the switch to be trunk so it can pass through both vlans

Orestis Nikolaidis

Network Engineer/IT Administrator

Orestis Nikolaidis Network Engineer/IT Administrator
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Same thing orani is saying but FGT doesn't have vlan access port concept. VLAN1 is tagged if you configured it as "vlan" interface.

krichardson

Is there no way to test this beyond a switch? For instance, If I plug into into one of the LA interfaces and assign my computer a 192.168.10.x IP - would I be able to ping the 192.168.8.1 gateway? I don't have the switch configured at this time.

Thanks,

Kirk

orani

This could be a testing option if you hadn't vlans. I think connecting your pc to one of the LAG ports will not drive you to a success test. A pc cannot recognize vlans. I think this will NOT work. I would suggest configuring your switch first and then do some tests. 

Orestis Nikolaidis

Network Engineer/IT Administrator

Orestis Nikolaidis Network Engineer/IT Administrator
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors