Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cardinal
New Contributor

Licensing a virtual FortiGate in a closed network

I have a dilemma, I need to install a virtual FortiGate firewall deep in a closed network (no internet connection or FortiManager to act as a proxy), I'm wondering how the licensing side of things can be achieved?

5 REPLIES 5
Remsondu1
New Contributor III

Register the Fortigate at support site and download the license file there, then upload it on the Fortigate

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate-private-cloud/6.2.0/nutanix-administration-guide/324840...

Bowale Oyenuga
Bowale Oyenuga
kichitan
Staff
Staff

You won't be able to activate the VM if you cannot reach the fortiguard servers.  I think you have a couple options.

1.- Give temporary internet access to the VM for the license to apply

2.- Deploy the VM in your close env, deploy a VM in an env with internet access, then swap the OS drive from the VMs once the license is active swap drives again.

Hope this helps

Change is the only constant :)
jiahoong112
Staff
Staff

You can download the license file of your Fortigate from support.fortinet.com and then manually upload the license file to the closed-network Fortigate. Upon uploading the license, you can then download the various ISDB, antivirus signature, ips database from support.fortinet.com -> Support -> Downloads (Service Updates)

**If you come across a resolution, kindly show your appreciation by liking and accepting it, ensuring its accessibility for others**
pmudgal
Staff
Staff

Hi Cardinal,

Hope you are doing well!

You can refer the below document i hope it might resolve your issue.

REF: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Procedure-to-apply-FortiGate-firewall-lice...

Also you can give FGT internet access for registration and then shut the internet access.

Best Regards,

Piyush

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors