Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nhiepphong200
New Contributor

License period when renew license for expired Fortigate firewall.

Hi all,

I have two Fortigate 100D firewalls. They were registered and accosiated with my fortinet account, but i have not used those for a time. They are keeping in my stock, and their licenses have been expired since December of last year (Dec-2017).

And now i have a plan to use those equipment on next months (Sep-2018), i want to renew their UTM bundle license but i have a concern need your help.

When i renew UTM bundle for one year license of those two fortigate 100D firewalls, the one year effective license will continue from the date i buy and add new license (Sep-2018) or it will continue from Dec-2017.

Please help me to indentify this problem. 

Thank you very much.

7 REPLIES 7
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Afaik it will start the moment you add the new license.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

We had the same issue in the past. If you "renew", means the same service, the contract now, it would be valid from Dec. 2017 until Dec. 2018 as if the service has never expired. If you buy a new (different) service, like used to be 8x5 forticare but now 24x7, it would start now Aug. 2018 and valid until Aug. 2019.

But their policy might have changed. Contact a sales person at an Fortinet reseller.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

@Toshi:

Actually, the official word for this (backdating expired contracts) is that the new contract will be backdated to the expiry date BUT not longer than 6 months.

So in this case, the old contract expired in Dec 2017, the new contract is registered in Sept 2018, it will start in (Sept -6 = March) March 2018, running till March 2019.

To be 100% sure, ask a Fortinet partner for a quote. They will ask their distributor for a quote using the FGT's serial number (which you will have to supply), and the distri will look it up with Fortinet.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I remember I heard about the backdating limitation. But I don't remember if I heard the new contract could last beyond the previous anniversary expiration date. 

nhiepphong200, please let us know when you figured out the conditions.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I have to agree with Ede, but contact the fortigate  contracts  team and be sure.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

emnoc wrote:

I have to agree with Ede, but contact the fortigate  contracts  team and be sure.

Ken

+1

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Dave_Hall

From what I can tell, the policy is called "Continuous Service Policy" (dated May 27th, 2010), as noted in this PDF document housed at http://www.consulting.erc.ua.  It would be interesting to know if there is a more current version of this or similar document.  

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors