Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
CollabraIT
New Contributor

L2TP/IPsec VPN, DNS settings

How do I get the VPN to use an internal DNS server?

I'm doing the initial setup on my FortiWifi 90D, switching from Cisco ASA so everything is quite different. I'm trying to get our VPN up and running. I went through the Windows Native remote access VPN setup, and I'm able to successfully login remotely. The problem is, by default the VPN pulls the FortiGate system DNS settings. I have those configured to point externally. Eventually I want to have the FortiGate act as the primary DHCP/DNS/NTP for all the networks behind it, so I'd rather not change the system DNS to point internally, and have an internal server go out for DNS. It's an option, but I'd rather not. I'm DEFINITELY not going to do the DNS translation feature that publishes internal addresses externally.

It seems to me, that the best and most obvious option is to statically set the DNS in the tunnel options. Anytime I attempt to convert the VPN to custom through the gui, I get the error "-1 invalid length of value" once I go to save the new settings. Even when I undo the changes, I still get the same error, so the gui seems broken for this. No problem, the CLI is logical and easy to use. I go into the config for my phase1-interface, edit the VPN, set mode-cfg on, set dns-mode to manual, and configure my ipv4 dns servers (no ipv6). then I end, and test the VPN. It's still pulling the system DNS. So I think, maybe since I've enabled the mode-cfg I need to manually add the rest of the ipv4 settings as well. I go in, and set them to the addresses I'm using for the VPN logins (this is a separate local address space, ie: if I'm tunneling into 1.1.1.0, the vpn uses 2.2.2.0 for it's clients. Of course those aren't the real IP's I'm using) still doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong? What is the recommended way to accomplish this? I've read a lot of different tech notes, KB articles, and forum posts, and they seem to show that I'm doing it right.. Is it as simple as needing a reboot? 

2 REPLIES 2
CollabraIT
New Contributor

According to the Fortinet technician that I talked to this morning, this is no longer a supported feature... It's an option in the gui, and it's an option in the cli, yet they don't support this feature. What kind of sense does this make? He said if we wanted to do this, we'd have to use the forticlient since it does support this. Forcing us to purchase an unnecessary licence to use something we're already supposed to be able to do is just bad business.

kallbrandt

Set the DNS server in the client vpn-interface with a GPO?

Richie

NSE7

Richie NSE7
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors