Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dobsit
New Contributor II

Kids limitation to 2 hours.

Hello,

I would like to limit the internet access for my kids after 2 hours ?

How can I do that? I've seen a quota in URL filtering in previous versions, not anymore ?

I'm running a 61E with V5.6.8 build1672

Thx

7 REPLIES 7
stuartsmith
New Contributor

I'm not sure if you can limit it to specifically two hours, but you should be able to limit device access after a certain time (say, 9:00 PM).  Try this:

From Policy & Objects > Schedules:  Create a new schedule with a start and end time.

From Policy & Objects > IPv4 Policy:  Create a new policy to blocks internet access from the device(s) in question, and from the Schedule box, select the policy you created above.

Of course, optionally, just pry the device from their hands as they scream in protest ;)

dobsit
New Contributor II

stuartsmith wrote:

I'm not sure if you can limit it to specifically two hours, but you should be able to limit device access after a certain time (say, 9:00 PM).  Try this:

From Policy & Objects > Schedules:  Create a new schedule with a start and end time.

From Policy & Objects > IPv4 Policy:  Create a new policy to blocks internet access from the device(s) in question, and from the Schedule box, select the policy you created above.

Of course, optionally, just pry the device from their hands as they scream in protest ;)

Already done, access allowed between 7 and 10pm but on the Week-end, I would like to allow them 2 hours per day maximum.

dobsit
New Contributor II

Hello,

No feedback ? I've updated to 6.0.3.

Thx

schetchshow
New Contributor

Can someone recommend a reliable website for fostering care support?

khandarzehn
New Contributor

Hey there!
To limit your kids' internet access, try checking out the parental control features on your router. Many have built-in options to set time limits and filter content. If you need help, reach out to your router's customer support.
Also, if you're interested in foster care support, local agencies, and non-profits can offer classes and training. It's a challenging but rewarding experience, so look into it further if you're interested.
Good luck with your router settings and parenting journey!

rmreddy
Staff
Staff

Hi,

As you want to restrict maximum of two hours during weekend, can schedule a policy for weekend and can configure quota limit for two hours.
Refer the below link for your reference
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.12/cookbook/801136/usage-quota

xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

For those looking for the Category Usage Quota options under Web Filter profile on some newer FortiOS like 7.2.7
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.2.7/administration-guide/801136

Just mind that Web Filter profile in those versions are, as policies, in flow based inspection mode by default.
As Category Usage Quota depends on proxy inspection mode, then you need to

1. make profile without quota

2. edit it again and use "Edit in CLI" from right hand menu

2. use Edit in CLI.jpg

3. as Web CLI opened will bring you right to edited profile then only thing needed is to switch profile to proxy .. "set feature-set proxy"

3. in CLI only - switch to proxy.jpg

4. now reload the GUI so edit profile again, and you should see both,
"Feature set" right on top under Comments box

"Category Usage Quota" under FortiGuard Category Based Filter selections

5. with Proxy based also comes Category Usage Quota which is otherwise not present.jpg

Documentation is not accurate enough so update submitted.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors