Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tedew
New Contributor

Issue with app - slowness

hello,

I tried to find why my app (classic client-server SQL app, SQL Server on Server, application installed on clients) is working slow over Local network (between two VLANs).

Fotigate has policy between VLAN 10(client) and VLAN 20 (server) but no security profile set, no inspection and so one.

Application running directly from the server generate reports in 1:30 min, the application running on the client generate raports in ~3min. (so issue is on network side)

I have checked:

- ping  from client to server, mostly 1ms, no packet lost

-iperf from client to server, around 850Mbps

-in whireshark is saw from time to time TCP reassembed from server to client - could be a reason ???

-ping -f -l 1472 from client to serve is OK

Something more to check ??maybe on switch side (switches are manageg by FGT) ?? 

Thank You

4 REPLIES 4
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @tedew ,

Based on what you said, this came to my mind. Does the relevant application need processing power to create a report after receiving the data from the server? If so, could the client machine be slow for this operation?

I think the easiest test to understand this is to move the client machine to the same vlan as the server and test again. In this way, FortiGate will be removed and since the machine is connected directly, it will be clear whether the problem is caused by FortiGate or not.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
tedew
New Contributor

hello,

I have checked on my side and server side - CPU no more than 30% consumed. 

I also move my laptop with client app to the same VLAN where server is - result is the same , ~3 min 

Thank You

ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @tedew ,

I think the problem is in the client machine or the application, because you say that the problem persists when you put the client computer and the server in the same VLAN.

Maybe the application uses a single CPU core because it does not support multitasking. This may actually cause the CPU consumption not to increase, but the report to be generated late.

Can you do a similar test by installing the relevant application on any other powerful server? In this way, we can understand whether the problem is related to processing power.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @tedew,

Are you using FortiSwitch? 

Regards,

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors