Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nmilot
New Contributor

Issue resolving remote computers by name

I' m working on rolling out SSL VPN on a 1000C via the Forticlient. This is being installed on remote users' laptops, all of which are part of my company' s domain. The forticlient is set up to integrate with the windows login prompt. In other words, users are establishing a vpn connection and then logging into windows all in one step. Everything is working great aside from one small DNS issue. I can' t ping the remote PC by name. Ideally I' d like to see the DNS servers update themselves with the client' s ip address each time the user connects. The IP address is delivered via DHCP by the fortigate. I often have to remotely connect to these client computers to troubleshoot issues. Tracking down their IP address is a pain. I already know their computer name. It' d be nice to be able to connect to them by hostname. Could someone point me in the right direction? The clients are a mix of windows 7 and xp machines. Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I' d be happy to support a feature request for Dynamic DNS (in the sense of MS DNS). Technically this should be easy: the hostname is announced in the DHCP discovery request. As a workaround, you could make use of reserved DHCP - you get the MAC addresses for free when they connect. At least this should be easier than looking up the host by it' s MAC address each time.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
jedmitchell
New Contributor

Hey Nmilot, I' ve been working on a solution for our remote users for remote installs and patching, during this process I have notice that forticlient sslvpn has been disabling DNS client service upon connection. This service is needed for the machine to register with DNS. I would look into that. Also you mention that you have forticlient working with windows login prompt, I find this very interesting...are you able to share some details on how you were able to accomplish this? Thanks in advance Jed
nmilot
New Contributor

Thanks for the the responses guys. It' s been busy and I haven' t been able to look too much further into this issue. Jedmitchell, we are using the forticlient version FortiClientSetup_5.0.9.0347. Once it is installed you can go into the configuration and set it to prompt for credentials prior to logging into windows. It integrates nicely into the the windows logon prompt. Is that what you' re asking?
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors