Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
horinius
New Contributor

Is there any list of available firmwares for Fortigate 80c?

Hello, I have a Fortigate 80c. I' ve spent already quite some time searching Fortinet' s support and knowledge base but it seems there' s nothing matching what I' m looking for. I' m looking for the list of available firmwares for this device, Fortigate 80c. Or at least the latest firmware. By the way, is there any newsletter or mailing-list for Fortigate 80 which announces things like new firmware?
16 REPLIES 16
horinius
New Contributor

OK, after going through a lot of trouble, I finally got my vendor send a firmware update to me. But I only got the 4.0 MR2 Patch 3 -- the vendor support said this is the latest stable version. But I understood from ede_pfau' s message that there are also version 4.1 and 4.2, right? So once again, that proves my vendor is not doing its job...? *sigh*...
jmac
New Contributor

No, the vendor is correct. Version 4.2 and " 4.0 MR2" are different names for the same version. The most recent release is 4.0 MR2 Patch 3, also called v4.2.3.
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

...and, to add to the story, v4.1 (a.k.a. 4.0MR1 and its patch versions) is running in parallel as 4.2 has had some serious issues, the forum is full of that. Currently, 4.1.9 is the latest stable patch version of the 4.1 branch, and it looks stable. I' ve been running 4.1.4 for a while, had trouble with 4.1.6 which has been fixed in 4.1.9 recently.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
horinius
New Contributor

OK, thanks. Now I realized why ede_pfau wrote 4.0MR1 (a.k.a. 4.1) in his reply. Could you please give me some keywords about those serious issues in 4.2 so I could do a search on them? Thanks.
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

one of the keywords would be " 4.2" . Examples: conserve mode: http://support.fortinet.com/forum/tm.asp?m=69575 SSL traffic / IPS / AppCtrl slow: http://support.fortinet.com/forum/tm.asp?m=68298 high CPU load: http://support.fortinet.com/forum/tm.asp?m=67581
Not applicable

FortiOS Version 4.0 Major Release 1 Patch Release 9 does appear to be the preferred image. There were quite a lot of changes in the Major Release 2 firmware. The general rule is to keep up to date on the patch releases and update to the next major release when there is functionality within that major release that you are looking for. I upgraded our network FortiWifi-80CS to the major release 2 patch release 3 firmware. The UI is considerably different that previous MR' s and OS' s. I am looking forward to the MR3 release that should be out in March as I can finally configure the wireless controller function for the FortiAP' s I had intended to deploy. With regards to the firmware images. The naming convention of the images match up with the naming convention of the device. Also. Images are now referenced as 4.2.3. OS Version 4.00 Major Release 2 Patch Release 3. The firmware release notes indicate which devices will support the OS version. FortiOS Version 3.00 is still a supported OS level and is a very stable image. I have a few FortiGate-60 device which are not able to run the FortiOS 4.0 code. I have them running on 3.7.10. The build is 754. This is the 754th incarnation of the image. FortiOS 3.00 will continue to be developed and supported through till 2013. The end of support date on my 60' s is November 2013. When working with a Fortinet Partner or Reseller for your network support, you can either have the device registered to them and have them create a sub-account for you so that you have access to the firmware images and can engage technical support through the web ticketing system and webchat. I registered mine under my account information and created a sub-account for my Fortinet Partner. From an administrative stance this is my preferred option as if I plan to have another IT provider take over I can simply delete the one sub-account and create a new sub-account for the new provider. When you have a valid support contract, you can also call Fortinet Customer support and they will be able to assist you with any Customer Service or Technical Support issues.
Not applicable

A few of my newer devices shipped with a four digit build number. For example my 60C' s shipped with 5272. All the images on the support site reference a three digit naming convention. From the FortiGate cli if you type get system status, the session out has a line named " Branch Point" . The branch point is the three digit build that corresponds with the support site images. The four digit build was sourced from the same code as this image. For my networks that use the FortiAP wireless controller, there is currently a special build that supports these feature which is referenced as build 6390. If I type get system status from the FortiGate cli I can see the branch point as 0291. This corresponds with the 4.2.2 code. And yes you are correct that the firmware image site is a process in itself to navigate. Various FTP folders. Not everything is logically located where you think it might be located.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors