Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mauog
New Contributor

Is there an All-in-one device for small offices?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a kind a of all-in-one device with ADSL router and WiFi (dual radio) device in the FortiGate portfolio.

It would be nice equip a small/home office with one device only to manage ADSL and WiFi connection.

Thanks for all your answers

M.

2 Solutions
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You need to look for the fortiwif-20C-ADSL & also the  FWF-60CX-ADSL-A, That would be the SOHO models w/ADSL +WIFI

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Here in Germany we face ~80 % ADSL lines at customer's sites. We usually combine an inexpensive ADSL modem in bridge mode (D-Link DSL-321B) with a vanilla FGT. This has a lot of advantages:

[ul]
  • all the line access info is placed on the FGT, no security risk on the forefront device
  • in case of overvoltage on the telco line, only a cheap modem burns and is easily replaced
  • in case the customer switches to a cable ISP only the external modem is replaced, and the access data reconfigured on the FGT
  • no specialized firewall hardware, no steep uppricing[/ul]

The D-Link seems to be more or less the only model on the market for Appendix B (ISDN) connections here. For VDSL, we use the Zyxel VG-1312B30. Both very reliable. The only feature we miss is a second LAN port on the modem, to be able to monitor the ADSL statistics. But then again, it's not worth an extra switch.

• Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    7 REPLIES 7
    emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

You need to look for the fortiwif-20C-ADSL & also the  FWF-60CX-ADSL-A, That would be the SOHO models w/ADSL +WIFI

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    mauog
    New Contributor

emnoc wrote:

You need to look for the fortiwif-20C-ADSL & also the  FWF-60CX-ADSL-A

It looks that the 20 series was replaced by the 30 but without support for ADSL.

In the 60 the ADSL suffix seems to be disappeared too.

So do you know if it is still supported or I need to chain any ADSL modem?

Thank You

Regards

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

Don't know where you getting your info from, but  the FGT/WF-20C-ADSL / FWF60CX-ADSL-A is still a sold and supported item. In fact the v5.2.x has code out for both of them. I've also installed 2 in the last 2 years. They are quite expensive when compared to the native model but they do work great and the ability to have a 3g-dialbackup and/or wan backup is great.

fwiw;

It would be nice if a SMB model was available with a WAN expansion slot and a ADSL card interface. That would be extremely nice to retro fit a SOHO model but that might be pricy to support from a vendor side of things.

BTW: FTNT doesn't list these under the product page since they are low demand items, contact your fortinet dealer straight for pricing. 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    mauog
    New Contributor

emnoc wrote:

Don't know where you getting your info from, but  the FGT/WF-20C-ADSL

Just for the records:

http://www.avfirewalls.com/FortiGate-20C-ADSL.asp

(Hope not to have broken any forum rules putting the link )

The 60 series solution seems to be more flexible... I read some bad about the 20 series...

ede_pfau
    Esteemed Contributor III

Here in Germany we face ~80 % ADSL lines at customer's sites. We usually combine an inexpensive ADSL modem in bridge mode (D-Link DSL-321B) with a vanilla FGT. This has a lot of advantages:

[ul]
  • all the line access info is placed on the FGT, no security risk on the forefront device
  • in case of overvoltage on the telco line, only a cheap modem burns and is easily replaced
  • in case the customer switches to a cable ISP only the external modem is replaced, and the access data reconfigured on the FGT
  • no specialized firewall hardware, no steep uppricing[/ul]

The D-Link seems to be more or less the only model on the market for Appendix B (ISDN) connections here. For VDSL, we use the Zyxel VG-1312B30. Both very reliable. The only feature we miss is a second LAN port on the modem, to be able to monitor the ADSL statistics. But then again, it's not worth an extra switch.

• Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    gschmitt
    Valued Contributor

ede_pfau wrote:

Personally I go with ALLNET but yeah I always keep a modem on hand.

I used to use FritzBox but sadly they kinda turned off the "Use as modem only" function

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

FWIW; we are using  orange livebox here but I don't think anybody using them in a bridge-mode. Some providers act stupid with  settings them up as bridge mode.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors