Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ashok_kumar
New Contributor

Is it possible to measure the signal strength?

Hi friends,

I had connected the USB modem into Fortigate 40C and configured now its working fine.When am checking the internet speed Its variable output showing.Is it possible to measure the signal strength ? Same like laptop or PC? please advise me

ashok kumar

Network Engineer

CCNP/MCSA

ashok kumar Network Engineer CCNP/MCSA
3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you talking about 3/4G modem? if yes, you can issue a at command similar to  AT+CSQ? or AT+CSQ  ( depending on model )

eg for a typical usb-3g modem

diag sys modem cmd AT+CSQ

If this is not a 3G/4G modem issues, than re -explain what your trying to do?

note: you can't send AT commands if the modem is connected. The two modes or the modem is "command" and "data" mode. On the former mode allows for AT commands execution

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ashok_kumar
New Contributor

Yes dear friend am using typical 3G modem and want to check the signal strength

ashok kumar

Network Engineer

CCNP/MCSA

ashok kumar Network Engineer CCNP/MCSA
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Than try that command from the fortigate and see if you get the level reading.

Also if you need to reposition the usb-modem, it found that extending it with a  usb-extension cable or  use a fortiExtender can help.

What I found;  that placing the modem in the  back facing usb-slot, sometime hampers and restrict the modem receive signal strength. A simple & cheap, 2ft  usb-2-usb extension cable  allow you a slight degree or arranging  the modem position.

In other cases, you will need to  use a fortiextender  or purchase a usb-modem with a external sma like antenae input & use a GSM antennae with a high gain.

I was very lucky, that in all of my  12 remote sites with 3g usb-modem backhual only two had poor RSSI level, &  in the -88-90dBm  range. Most of the other locations runs around -65 to -77dBm  24-26asu YMMV

With lower RSSI , you will experience poor packet lost which will impede  realtime sensitive applications or udp   applications

I hope this was  helpful.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors