Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cquirozb
New Contributor

Is it possible to backup a VM Fortigate using Veeam backup?

Hello community!

I was wondering if it is possible to backup a fortigate VM using Veem backup? The first thing that comes to my mind is "no" since you cannot install an agent in the firewall.

4 REPLIES 4
sw2090
Honored Contributor

We dont run any FGT as VM but we do run FMG as VM. And we do use VEEAM to backup it. At least it should be able to do replicas witihout installed agent.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes same here, you can do non-Endpoint backups and have a recovery option. I stilll backup the vmFGT conf file as a separate praactice

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
lperez
New Contributor

While you backup may be successful, it might not have the most current live configuration in it. You need to check with Fortigate to verify that it supports VMware Backups using the VMware Backup APis and what kind of backup should it be (Crash Consistent? Application? etc.)

It may be that you have to set a script in the Fortigate to run every so often to dump the file in a directory in the Fortigate, then the VMware backups will contain the VM and the most current data as well.

lperez
New Contributor

While you backup may be successful, it might not have the most current live configuration in it. You need to check with Fortigate to verify that it supports VMware Backups using the VMware Backup APis and what kind of backup should it be (Crash Consistent? Application? etc.)

It may be that you have to set a script in the Fortigate to run every so often to dump the file in a directory in the Fortigate, then the VMware backups will contain the VM and the most current data as well.

You are best served by finding out what Fortigate's best practices are first, and then see if they support the other types of backups you want to conduct.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors