Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sysadm
New Contributor

Is it posible to downgrade a fortigate 100D G3 to 4MR3 ?

Hi fellows:

I have a fortigate 100D "G2" running 4mr3 patch 15, and a new one G3 shipped with 5.2, the idea is to replace the G2 with the G3 hardware, and i am just wondering about downgrading the G3 to 4.3.15 in order to execute the upgrade steps to 5.2 with a backup of my current working configuration, i want to do this in order to minimize the downtime of the production equipment during the replace process.

This device is working as a packet filter and vpn for remote offices and ssl vpn for road warriors, no utm functions enabled.

Have some one tried this?

What are your thoughts about this?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Victor

10 REPLIES 10
claumakurumure
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I don't think there is need to worry much here since they are all FGT 100Ds since the firmware is the same for the same devices (note i am not sure the significant difference between G2 and G3) but the only diffrence that matters in conversion will be Fortiwifi and POE devices or different models. I would do the following

1.Download firmware 4.3.15 

2. Install 4.3.15 firmware on new FGT 100D

3. Restore the back up on the new device and do one to one comparison if in doubt

4. Upgrade to the desired firmware if need be following the recommended path

5. Do a straight swop and test 

note that you can also use a conversion with forticonverter from 4.3.x to 5.2.x even on different models I have done this several times and even with different vendors

hezvo uko
hezvo uko
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

As far as I experienced they're minor hardware upgrades that doesn't affect to software. Like FG60D first came without a RJ45 console port, then next gen came with it (again). FG1500D G2 upgraded log hd capacity from G1.

sysadm

Thanks for the feedback Clau and Toshi, great info, have a nice day!

sysadm
New Contributor

Just want to update this thread

My new FG100D, with part number P11510-05 and by the way it comes with a Quad Core cpu, does not support 4MR3.

It went to a kernel panic every try, with 4.3.15 and 4.3.18.

It was shipped with 5.2 but the older firmware that works ok in it is 5.0.

I hope this helps some one

My .02

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Read the release manual but they clearly warn you about this;

4.3.18 rls notes

FortiOS v4.0 MR3 (all patches) contains a compatibility issue with FortiGate-100D units that have a system part number of P11510-03 and later. You can view the system part number on the bottom of the unit or with the get system status CLI command. Units with this system part number must run FortiOS v5.0 Patch Release 3 or later. 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

As older and newer versions are incompatible in v4.3 the way to go is to upgrade the older one to, say, v5.0.14 (which is decent in it's own) and then copy the config. Of course, respecting the recommended upgrade sequence.

Or, rebuild the new v5.2 config from scratch, cutting and pasting parts of the old config. Note that there've been considerable changes in SSLVPN config, as an example, between v4.3 and v5.2.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
sysadm

Thanks emnoc and ede_pfau.

i´m a little embarased since most of the times i read carefully the release notes, of course i missed it this time

i will do the  upgrade to 5.0.14 first in prod, then copy config on the newer one, and upgrade to 5.2.8 after that

Regards

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm curious

Did you just order this unit was the pn# listed on the box? I'm getting ready to order 2 FGT100D and requested thru the vendor the latest model but they told me they can't ensure that a I would get the exact 2 model of the same pn#.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
sysadm
New Contributor

emnoc:

I dont remember if the box says some thing about, don´t think so,  i will have access to the box in 10 days and tell you more, but i got 2 units, one in july and one in august, the first one was -05, the second one -04, i´m talking about two different companies and projects,  so my guess is that it is an inventory turnover issue on the distribution channel...

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors