Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
NeilG
Contributor

Is FortiGuard Messaging Service supposed to just " work" for sending SMS text messages?

The Fortiguard Messaging Service SEEMS to be the default method of sending SMS texts, limited to a few a month. I am incorrect in my understanding that a fortigate 60D with 5.2.0 should be able to communicate to Fortiguard and send an SMS, such as to activate a Fortitoken-mobile device? exec fortiguard-message info Controller server status: registered Expiry date: 20151006 SMS max allowed: 14 SMS used: 0 Last update: Thu Oct 9 12:36:55 2014 Current message server: 208.91.113.184:443 Message server status: unknown Thanks! -Neil
4 REPLIES 4
FatalHalt
Contributor II

I' m not quite sure about working with the Fortiguard servers, I usually just set my own. Use this site as a reference. So if I need to be able to send an SMS to a Verizon cell phone:
config system sms-server
     edit " Verizon" 
         set mail-server " vtext.com" 
     next
 end

config system admin
     edit " user" 
         set sms-server custom
         set sms-custom-server Verizon
         set sms-phone " 10digitnumber" 
     next
 end
I believe you can do this all from the GUI as well.
NeilG
Contributor

Wouldn' t that require the fortigate to have a working SMTP destination? Unfortunately there is no internal mailserver or device to act as an SMTP proxy. -Neil
neonbit
Valued Contributor

This should work for the x amount of free sms' s you get. I was under the impression the freebie SMSs were once off and not monthly recurring. I' ve just tested this on a user with the FortiMobile tokens and the SMS came through fine (sms attached). ************* fortigate # execute fortiguard-message info Controller server status: registered Expiry date: 20141202 SMS max allowed: 4 SMS used: 4 Last update: Mon Oct 13 10:27:57 2014 Current message server: 208.91.113.184:443 Message server status: up ************* I think the key thing here is the fact that my message server status shows ' up' while yours shows ' unknown' . I would investigate this first. On a side note, if you want to get the activation code without having an SMS or email, you can see it via a ' config user fortitoken' then a ' show' command, as per below: fortigate # config user fortitoken fortigate (fortitoken) # show config user fortitoken edit " FTKMOBXXXXXXXX" set seed " ABCD" set license " FTMTRIAL000" set activation-code " DEIJKRFEBJHT6LPV" set activation-expire 1407113909
AlexFeren
New Contributor III

I am seeing:

FG60C (global) # execute fortiguard-message info

Controller server status: not-registered Expiry date: 20000101 SMS max allowed: 0 SMS used: 0 Last update: Wed Jul 22 20:09:13 2015 Current message server: 208.91.113.184:443 Message server status: unknown

Is FortiGuard Messaging Service an additional subscription?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors