Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sims
New Contributor III

Ipsec

Hi,

HQ

Local subnet 0.0.0.0/0

Remote Subnet 0.0.0.0/0

Branch

Local subnet 10.0.2.0/24

Remote Subnet  10.0.3.0/24 

Can I choose  the above configuration  for ipsec site-to site vpn , Does it work ? 

What Will happen If I choose locan and remote subnet is 0.0.0.0 in HQ 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

'0.0.0.0/0' is the notation for a wildcard address in FortiOS.

For a site-to-site tunnel I would always put in the explicit network(s) in the phase2 QM selectors. They are part of the negotiations. I would assume that the tunnel will not get up successfully as you offer explicit networks from one side and wildcards from the HQ side.

Besides, you will have to know the networks in advance anyway, to establish the routing.

This would be different if both sides had the wildcard addresses.

In fact this will be used when building a dial-in tunnel, as you would not know the remote subnet addresses in advance.

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Either are okay, but like Ede I place explicit local/remote ( src/dst-subnets ). I do this so I can get "statistics" per-each network, where as a single 0.0.0.0/0 will not provide you any details if a network over the vpn is or is not working if you have multiples.

Remember in route-based vpn the routing is what place traffic over the vpn interface.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
sims
New Contributor III

Hi ken 

emnoc wrote:

Either are okay, but like Ede I place explicit local/remote ( src/dst-subnets ). I do this so I can get "statistics" per-each network, where as a single 0.0.0.0/0 will not provide you any details if a network over the vpn is or is not working if you have multiples.

Remember in route-based vpn the routing is what place traffic over the vpn interface.

can you  elaborate the statement "Remember in route-based vpn the routing is what place traffic over the vpn interface." 

Thanks

sims
New Contributor III

ede_pfau wrote:

'0.0.0.0/0' is the notation for a wildcard address in FortiOS.

For a site-to-site tunnel I would always put in the explicit network(s) in the phase2 QM selectors. They are part of the negotiations. I would assume that the tunnel will not get up successfully as you offer explicit networks from one side and wildcards from the HQ side.

Besides, you will have to know the networks in advance anyway, to establish the routing.

This would be different if both sides had the wildcard addresses.

In fact this will be used when building a dial-in tunnel, as you would not know the remote subnet addresses in advance.

This is already implemented in a live environment  and the tunnel is also up .

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors