Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AtiT
Valued Contributor

Invalid octet in UTF-8 sequence

Hello,

I have a problem with Fortigate 240D v5.2.2,build642 (GA).

Sometimes when I open firewall policies or user groups etc... I receive the following erros - see the attached image.

What is the problem and how to fix it?

AtiT

AtiT
2 Solutions
Irfan_Pathan
New Contributor III

Hi, 

This is a known issue on 5.2.2 and 5.2.3, the fix for it is available on 5.2.4. The bug ID is 0273255. 

solution is :  1. Install Script-runner extension in your chrome browser.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/scriptrunner/nilfinipmkbgemlbmohlildijohlniho?utm_source=c...

2. run jQuery when error page apears.  jQuery('#main').contents().find('div#notify-container').toggle()

see attached screenshot.

-Irfan Pathan

View solution in original post

sandeep_fgt

Thanks for the solution!!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
doshbass
New Contributor III

I have never seen this, did you do an import of anything from another system?  This looks like something in the config has some characters that the Fortigate does not understand.

From CLI try running "diag debug config-error-log read"  and see if this shows any thing that cannot be understood.

Still learning to type " the"
Still learning to type " the"
duckwood98
New Contributor

same problem on 200d running 5.2.3.  funny thing is IE will not even display pages after I added an address with 192.0.1.0/24 as subnet. 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Same thing here but under sslvpn settings. I would pull the cfg under the cli and see what input you already have and clearly state what text-string  your inserting or trying to insert.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Rogerio_Pinho
New Contributor

Hi,

Same problem with Fortigate 100D, 300C and 800C -  v5.2.3

Randy_Redekopp
New Contributor

I updated yesterday to 5.2.3 (from 5.0.11) on my FG-310B and am now seeing that same issue.   Originally I had the problem where I could not open the Objects Addresses page at all under IE11 (just the spinning busy indicator until auto logout).  Opened a case with support and was advised it is a known issue with 5.2.3 and IE11.  Switched to Firefox and can now access the addresses page.  Unfortunately when I try to edit an address group the above message is now displayed (25 of them), in addition to:

1 x Overlong 2 byte UTF-8 sequence...

2 x Invalid UTF-8 sequence length...

Once I've gone into that item, cleared the errors and OK it does not appear to come back, even after a logoff/on.   I did a file comparison of my config backups from immediately after the update to just now after I had seen those errors once and there are zero differences.   Not sure why the error is not reappearing, hopefully all is good.  I'll know for sure after I reboot my system and access it again.

-Randy-
-Randy-
Abhay_Dubey
New Contributor

Issue - After upgrading the FORTIOS to FORTIOS 5.2.3 we are getting issues while editing the firewall address group objects and firewall service group objects. Firefox, Opera, IE, Safari, all the browsers are giving error as mentioned below. Error - overlong 2 byte UTF-8 sequence detected when decoding 'string'.

Confirming the bug ID 273255. A fix in GA release would be made available in 5.2.4

Rgds,

Abhay

sandeep_fgt
New Contributor III

Hi. The bug ID you mentioned does not show up on Fortinet Site. Can you please confirm if the bug ID you shared is correct?

Thanks,

Sandeep Jha

sandeep_fgt

Yes, thats right. I didn't find the given bug id..

sandeep_fgt

Thanks for the solution!!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors