Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BigMike
New Contributor II

Internet down after using Forticlient VPN

I am using win10 and using FortiClient VPN Only version. When I connect the vpn, my internet down and no one can use remote desktop to connect my PC either.

There is a post discussed it: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Support-Forum/Lost-internet-connection-when-using-forticlient/td-p... 

I checked the route table and there is one new route for 0.0.0.0, so there are two 0.0.0.0 routes.

But when I try to use 'route delete 0.0.0.0' command according to the post , it only delete the system default one, and cannot delete the one which VPN client add.

So I googled this post:windows - Can't change routes with VPN Client - Super User.

It has the same issue and he found the reason is " I examined the issue with Rohitab and found out FortiSSL Client watches the routes table with the NotifyRouteChange IP Helper API call."

His conclusion is Forticlient vpn will monitor the route table and fix it automatically.

I am not network expert, just an normal user, I dont know to do with it. I even cannot judge if the problem is caused by the route table.

Can anyone give some hints?

Thanks

FortiClient 

Can you give some hints?

13 REPLIES 13
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Split tunneling cannot be enabled in FortiClient bacause it is a feature of FortiOS. It has to be enabled on the FortiGate your are connecting to.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

In case you don't have access to the remote FortiGate then you have to delete manually the injected default GW once you establish the SSL VPN connection.

AEK
AEK
sw2090
Honored Contributor

As said: removing the injected default route will make your internet accessible again but it will also render your vpn useless as no more traffic will hit it...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
burtos
New Contributor

could try and remove the ipv6 option (so it doesnt try and get a ipv6 address) on both the laptop networks connection and vpn connection. Noticed on a few users that internet drops, when users have both ipv4 and ipv6 option selected. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors