Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Shiltsy
New Contributor

Intermittent connection problems from ios devices

Running a fortiwifi 80cm with all security features disabled and a wide open accept policy. Connection from windows and Mac laptops is great, but I have consistent issues coming from my ipad and iPhone. Everything is dhcp and all devices are coming in through the same wifi network running wpa. I can' t identify any errors in the log file. Running firmware 5.0 build 208 Anyone have any ideas or troubleshooting steps? Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
YanisSauve

Seems to be the same here:

Setup:

- FGT-800C, FW 5.2.4

- Using a captive portal on an open SSID

- Using Guest accounts

iDevices keep disconnecting after a few minutes, even when the used is actively browsing the internet.

I tried to bypass the CNA by allowing FQDNs coming from iDevices, which works BTW.  The device when it connects to my open SSID does not pop the FGT login page.  It does pop the first time I use Safari though.  I thought that maybe would solve the problem by allowing the connection refresh page to be kept, however, I get the same disconnects.

My iDevices connected to another SSID that uses RADIUS to authenticate does not exhibit the same behaviour.

I saw nothing in the release notes for 5.2.5, which supports throsoul's observations, so I'm not hopeful an update will solve the problem.

Fortinet support can reach me for information if needed.  It would be a huge help to fix this problem.

Yanis_Sauve

Seems to be the same here:   Setup: - FGT-800C, FW 5.2.4 - Using a captive portal on an open SSID - Using Guest accounts   iDevices keep disconnecting after a few minutes, even when the used is actively browsing the internet.   I tried to bypass the CNA by allowing FQDNs coming from iDevices, which works BTW.  The device when it connects to my open SSID does not pop the FGT login page.  It does pop the first time I use Safari though.  I thought that maybe would solve the problem by allowing the connection refresh page to be kept, however, I get the same disconnects.   My iDevices connected to another SSID that uses RADIUS to authenticate does not exhibit the same behaviour.   I saw nothing in the release notes for 5.2.5, which supports throsoul's observations, so I'm not hopeful an update will solve the problem.   Fortinet support can reach me for information if needed.  It would be a huge help to fix this problem.

Yanis_Sauve

Hello guys,

I probably found the solution.  It's hidden in the CLI.

You have to either change the default auth-timeout setting ("config user setting", "set auth-timeout <xx>"), or configure your per-group authtimeout setting ("config user group", "edit <Group_name>", "set authtimeout <xx>")

For me, it seems to work perfectly.  I will advise if otherwise.

Hope this helps.

MrN3ff
New Contributor

Hey,

I've been experiencing an issue very similar but not singling out iOS devices alone (I'm seeing these results on all Apple devices).  At first thought it was a DNS issue with my ISP (they replaced the modem because it wasn't IPv6 compatible).  Still having the same problems.  On the Mac laptop webpages will not load no matter what the browser without several refresh attempts.  Typically 2 or 3 before the webpage script goes away and I actually see visuals... The iOS devices will just stop loading - toggle the wireless off and back on for a little success but the end results are still the same (2-3 seconds of loading and it stops - cellular data will load the pages/video immediately so its not the source).  Running a FortiWifi90D which is now at the latest firmware (nothing is helping) so I hoping I can find some light here... Thoughts?

When I lose connection on the mac I can run a steady ping to 8.8.8.8 or google.com which shows packet loss galore.  Run those same tests local on the Fortigate unit and it never misses a beat...

Thanks Michael

kwik
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm also having problem with my FWF60C local wifi and one FAP-221C. Iphone and ipad are having problems (not loading webpages while browsing at some moment, not all the time). Surface Pro or HP laptop have no problems at all.

FGT is now on v5.2.7,build718 and I've just done the upgrade of the FAP to v5.2-build0262. Hope this will help, I did read the release notes but there was noting mentioned about unstable Apple wifi, so chances are low...

Next step will be upgrade FGT to 5.2.8.

Have any one find a stable release or solution ?

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Luk

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors