Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Shiltsy
New Contributor

Intermittent connection problems from ios devices

Running a fortiwifi 80cm with all security features disabled and a wide open accept policy. Connection from windows and Mac laptops is great, but I have consistent issues coming from my ipad and iPhone. Everything is dhcp and all devices are coming in through the same wifi network running wpa. I can' t identify any errors in the log file. Running firmware 5.0 build 208 Anyone have any ideas or troubleshooting steps? Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Currently do not have access to an ipad/iphone to test their wireless connections, but some things to try/consider: - Set the encryption to use both AES and TKIP - Define a custom AP profile (set type to the FortiWifi 80CM) (The default automatic profile setting seem to give some of our customers connection issues.) - Try adjusting/add/moving channels - Trying Limiting the band to 2.GHz - Disable/block UPnP traffic to/from the wireless interface (some people reported this fixed their ipad connection issues). The built-in wireless controller does have some nice debugging tools. Also consider consulting Apple' s own Wireless troubleshooting guide. If this 80CM is older than 3 years then consider the possibility that it may be one of the batch of 80CMs with a faulty wireless chipset. In that regardless you may want to contact Fortinet support to determine this. (Off hand I do not know which units by serial number are suspected.)

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Shiltsy
New Contributor

Thanks for the assist here! I enabled AES+TKIP and created a policy to block UPNP. Not sure which fixed it, but for the last 15 minutes its been clear sailing and connection issues seem to be gone. I should really remove one to see which fixed it, but after fighting this for 6 months, I don' t want to breathe on the box!!! Thanks again. Really appreciate this.
daveywavey
New Contributor

Hello Shiltsy did you determine what seemed to fix it? I have been experiencing similar issues with 80CMWifi and a 90DWifi
Forti OS 4.0: FLG_100B-v400-build0705 (4.3.7) FWF_80CM-v400-build0665 (4.3.15) Forti OS 5.0: FWF_90D-v500-build0228 (5.0.3)
Forti OS 4.0: FLG_100B-v400-build0705 (4.3.7) FWF_80CM-v400-build0665 (4.3.15) Forti OS 5.0: FWF_90D-v500-build0228 (5.0.3)
Shiltsy
New Contributor

It' s still not fixed. I ultimately stood up another wireless router just for my IOS devices. I upgraded the Fortinet box to the latest firmware tonight to see if that solved the problem, and it did not....
veechee
New Contributor

I have had my share of FortiGate wireless headaches. I have a new one: I just got a new laptop with 7260-AC wireless inside, and it continually disconnects from the FortiWiFi-60C. I have had to resort to plugging in a LAN cable, because wireless was so unreliable I couldn' t get any work done.
thorsoul
New Contributor

Still not fix on my 40C Wifi v5-build0670 still WIFI Connection Problems with Iphone 4s/5 ipad 2/ipad mini other devices not available for testing.

Has someone any idea?

thorsoul
New Contributor

Any News on this? Updates planed? Some other steps workarounds without replacing the WLAN Fortigate?

Russo
New Contributor

What a disappointment with Fortinet.....

Any news on this? Using a FWF-60D and same problems.....

thorsoul
New Contributor

Still the same with v5.2.5,build701 on FortiWIFI 40c, please provide an update for this anoying disconnects!!!!

Cannot be that there is no solution for this?

Tested iOS Devices: iPhone 4s/5/6s, iPad 2, iPadmini 2 ... all the same!!! so don't tell me it is an apple Problem if the Problem only resist on the Fortigate with any other router no disconnects!

Really Fortinet Customer Support????!?!?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors