Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Martink1
New Contributor

Interface of Fortinet 1000c acting as both DHCP relay and Server

Hi I have a use case where I need the Fortinet to assign the IPs for the devices, but I also need to forward the DHCP requests to another server.  The external server that I need to get the DHCP requests is not going to respond, it's a policy server that uses the information for profiling.

I can't do that now, only i can choose one option, or dhcp server or relay. Anyone know if it is possible that fortinet works in both modes? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm I don't think the DHCP Protocol does support this. You could only be in the same net and you will see the DHCPREQUEST  / DHCPOFFER packets on your server. 

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Martink1

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer!

Yes, it is possible because the server relay destination only get a DHCPREQUEST and profile the device acording this packet. But this server never response it neither offer a DHCPOFFER.Only "listen" for DHCPRequest.

The entire negotiation of DHCP is doing for FortiGate. Actually this works fine with DHCP Server on Mikrotik or Windows or IPHelper or SPAN Ports in switchs.

Martink1

Hi again. Any idea about this or anybody know is a feature that Fortinet will add in a future release?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors