Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

Inter-switch link (ISL) - Bandwidth

Trying to learn more about the FortiSwitch. I see that when using multiple FortiSwitch switches it is common to use ISL between the switches. Will this restrict connection speed between switches? In other words what bandwidth does this ISL support?

2 Solutions
tanr
Valued Contributor II

For FortiLink/ISL adding multiple connections between the switches automagically gives you an aggregate.  At least that's what I've been doing on 6.0.

If you're trying to set up with redundancy or MCLAG it might be different.

View solution in original post

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

I've noticed that a FortiLink internally is built by an aggregate link. So it's quite easy to increase the bandwidth. Same might be the case with ISLs.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
4 REPLIES 4
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

In other words, is the ISL connection limited to 1 GB on a 1 GB switch? If so this could create a bottleneck.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

For FortiLink/ISL adding multiple connections between the switches automagically gives you an aggregate.  At least that's what I've been doing on 6.0.

If you're trying to set up with redundancy or MCLAG it might be different.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

I've noticed that a FortiLink internally is built by an aggregate link. So it's quite easy to increase the bandwidth. Same might be the case with ISLs.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
SecurityPlus

tanr & ede_pfau, Thanks
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors