Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ALU91
New Contributor

Installation problem Overlapped I/O operation is in progress

Hi,

I cannot install Forticlient on my PC. I have the message in french "une opération d'entrée/sortie avec chevauchement est en cours d'exécution" which corresponds to the English message "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress" :

After researches, it sounds be the KB2918614 update that in cause according to different messages on different forums. But after tried, the same message appears, and i can't install it on my PC. Please could you help for this issue ? My OS is Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1.

Thank you.

1 Solution
Claressa
New Contributor II

Just recently had this issue when installing Forticlient on one our computers and fixed it with help from the post below. 1st solution resolved it immediately.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Install-Failure-Error-997-Overlapped-I-O-operation-is-in-progress.html Causes: This is a known issue sometimes caused by the Microsoft security update KB2918614. This issue occurs because update 2918614 uses cryptographic keys and certificates for hashing the installation files together with the logged-in user profile. However, cryptographic keys and certificates cannot be used by mandatory or temporary user profiles. Therefore, when a user uses a mandatory or temporary user profile to install any MSI package, the MSI package installation fails and the error message returns. Solution: Solution #1 - Change the name of the following folder Rename the folder  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18_BAK and try installing the Autodesk software again. Solution #2 - Apply the following hotfix Microsoft recommends applying a hotfix released to address this issue. Refer to "The profile for the user is a temporary profile" error when you install a MSI package in Windows for that hotfix. Solution #3 - Remove the updates triggering the errors     Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program (or Programs and Features).     In the left menu, click View installed updates.     In the search box at the top-right search for KB2918614. If you find it, uninstall it.     Do another search for KB3072630, KB3000988 and KB3008627. If you find them, uninstall them as well.     Reboot the computer and try installing the Autodesk software again. Solution #4 - Edit the Registry If the install still fails, add the product code of the product you are trying to install to the SecureRepairWhitelist in the Windows registry. Warning! Use the Microsoft® Registry Editor only at your own risk and only after backing up the registry and the system.dat and user.dat files, as outlined for your operating system in the Microsoft Knowledge Base and in How to back up the system registry. More information about the registry is available in Help topics in the Microsoft Registry Editor.     Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.     Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry (create it if it doesn't exist):     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer     On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.     Type SecureRepairPolicy for the name of the DWORD, and then press Enter.     Right-click SecureRepairPolicy, and then click Modify.     In the Value data box, type 2, and then click OK.     Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer     On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.     Type SecureRepairWhitelist for the name of the key, and then press Enter.     Double-click the SecureRepairWhitelist key to open it.     On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click String Value. Create String Values that contain the product codes (including braces {}) of the products that have to be added to the Safe Recipients list.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jb_kalm
Contributor

Hi, I know you said you tried some things already so just checking. Did you disable any antivirus or anti-malware software that you might be running and try again? 

Thanks,

jb

hugh
New Contributor

Did you ever find a resolve to this post?

ALU91
New Contributor

Hi,

I back for more details. I tried to install it without Firewall/AV activated, and still the same problem. I also tried to install in Safe mode, but Forticlient don't want to install on this mode.

Any other idea ?

gingercat
New Contributor

I had the same problem this morning, and finally managed to fix it using the instructions from "M" here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsnetsetup/archive/2014/10/27/error-997-overlapped-i-o-operation-is-in-progr...

I did also install hotfix KB3000988, so I don't know if that is also needed, but it wouldn't install until I added the registry setting.  Essentially you need to create a .reg file and import containing:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer] "SecureRepairPolicy"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\SecureRepairWhitelist] "{A98353B4-1E25-44EC-BCC0-6F84D2F5F243}"=""

Claressa
New Contributor II

Just recently had this issue when installing Forticlient on one our computers and fixed it with help from the post below. 1st solution resolved it immediately.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Install-Failure-Error-997-Overlapped-I-O-operation-is-in-progress.html Causes: This is a known issue sometimes caused by the Microsoft security update KB2918614. This issue occurs because update 2918614 uses cryptographic keys and certificates for hashing the installation files together with the logged-in user profile. However, cryptographic keys and certificates cannot be used by mandatory or temporary user profiles. Therefore, when a user uses a mandatory or temporary user profile to install any MSI package, the MSI package installation fails and the error message returns. Solution: Solution #1 - Change the name of the following folder Rename the folder  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18_BAK and try installing the Autodesk software again. Solution #2 - Apply the following hotfix Microsoft recommends applying a hotfix released to address this issue. Refer to "The profile for the user is a temporary profile" error when you install a MSI package in Windows for that hotfix. Solution #3 - Remove the updates triggering the errors     Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program (or Programs and Features).     In the left menu, click View installed updates.     In the search box at the top-right search for KB2918614. If you find it, uninstall it.     Do another search for KB3072630, KB3000988 and KB3008627. If you find them, uninstall them as well.     Reboot the computer and try installing the Autodesk software again. Solution #4 - Edit the Registry If the install still fails, add the product code of the product you are trying to install to the SecureRepairWhitelist in the Windows registry. Warning! Use the Microsoft® Registry Editor only at your own risk and only after backing up the registry and the system.dat and user.dat files, as outlined for your operating system in the Microsoft Knowledge Base and in How to back up the system registry. More information about the registry is available in Help topics in the Microsoft Registry Editor.     Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.     Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry (create it if it doesn't exist):     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer     On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.     Type SecureRepairPolicy for the name of the DWORD, and then press Enter.     Right-click SecureRepairPolicy, and then click Modify.     In the Value data box, type 2, and then click OK.     Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer     On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.     Type SecureRepairWhitelist for the name of the key, and then press Enter.     Double-click the SecureRepairWhitelist key to open it.     On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click String Value. Create String Values that contain the product codes (including braces {}) of the products that have to be added to the Safe Recipients list.

petyavas

Thank you very much, Claressa. You save my life! I spent weeks to find a way and 1st solution resolved it.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors