Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Pugnax
New Contributor

Install FortiOS on a non-supported device (for testing purposes)

Hi there,

Maybe somebody can help me out: I've got an old FortiWIFI 40C with FortiOS 5.2.15 at home, which I basically use it for learning and testing. 

Is there a way to install newer firmware, say 5.6 or even 6.0, for the same purposes, without bricking it?

3 REPLIES 3
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Not on the 40C.  From the firmware images found on the support site, I can only find images going up to 5.2.15.  If you need a physical fgt device, I suggest getting a D or E model with at least 1 GB memory.  Keep in mind that 6.4 Firmware was newly released and it looks like the 60E is the lowest end model fgt supported on that branch. 

Pugnax wrote:

Is there a way to install newer firmware, say 5.6 or even 6.0, for the same purposes, without bricking it?

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Pugnax

Thank you Dave. 

I was hoping there would be a way, like getting a FWF-60 firmware and doing some hex editing, since stability is not a concern. Just wishful thinking, I guess. 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Get a VM and eval license if your truly doing testing  is my advise.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors