Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pierob
New Contributor

Impossible to "switch mode to interface mode"

I have a Fortiwifi 50E and i want to switch to interface mode (i need to setup individual ports). I have searched on this forum and tried all the suggestions found but i always get:

command parse error before 'internal-switch-mode' Command fail. Return code -61

I reset to factory settings the device and deleted every reference to "Internal" interface (purged firewall policy, dhcp server...) but i get always the same error.

7 REPLIES 7
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

What version of fortios are you running? I thought that command doesn't exist any more. Likelyhood is your 50E is already running interface mode but using "hard-switch" called "lan" under "config sys virtual-switch". Then you just need to remove the port you want to use separately from "lan" hard-switch.

pierob

Version is: v5.4.3,build1111 (GA)

Yes "lan" is  physical-switch "sw0" and include all ports. I have removed lan1 from "lan" and now i see the phisical interface. Thank you so much.

ede_pfau

just for the reference, in later versions ports can be included/excluded in the GUI in Network>Interfaces>Internal (in this case). Additionally, all ports belonging to a switch will be highlighted if you click just one in the diagram.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Or - vice versa - you can simply delete the switch in gui after you removed any reference from it before. And then you have what was called interface mode.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
pierob
New Contributor

sw2090 wrote:

Or - vice versa - you can simply delete the switch in gui after you removed any reference from it before. And then you have what was called interface mode.

How i can do that on gui?

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

pierob wrote:

Usually from a factory reset, you log into the GUI and first remove the default firewall policy (there should be only one) then go into the interface for lan or internal switch and uncheck the DHCP option.  Save the setting.

If you have the ref column enable on the Interface screen, there should be nothing showing up as a reference - otherwise click on that number showing and see what else you need to remove.

Things to keep in mind is you likely won't be able to remove all references if you are actually logged into one of the switch members - I would advised logging into one of the other ports (e.g. WAN1 orWAN2 ports) before trying any changes to the internal (lan) switch.  Rereading your original post, I think this is where it is catching you up.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
sw2090
Honored Contributor

yeah as Dave said: first remove all references (in factroy default that is one policy and the dhcp server option) and afterwards right click the switch in interface view and select delete.

If you are no longer on factory default click the number of references in the colun Dave mentioned to check on the references.

You should be able to delete the switch even if you are connected to that. You just afterward won't be able to reach the FGT since you would be connected to an unconfigured interface then ;)

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors