Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RaineeO
New Contributor

Importing configurations

I am in the process of moving from a SonicWall to a Fortigate 1000.  Is there a way to import configurations into the Fortigate?  If so, are there configuration templates?

4 REPLIES 4
gschmitt
Valued Contributor

The FortiConverter claims to be able to convert from SonicWall, but it costs additional licensing fees

Honestly I would do it by hand, that way you get rid of the old useless stuff. Only migrate what you actually need.

RaineeO

Thank you for the response.  Translating the SonicWall configuration over to Fortigate is the tough part.  Because the SonicWall is Zone based and the Fortigate is port based, there are challenges.

gschmitt
Valued Contributor

RaineeO wrote:

Thank you for the response.  Translating the SonicWall configuration over to Fortigate is the tough part.  Because the SonicWall is Zone based and the Fortigate is port based, there are challenges.

Actually you can create zones (containing Interfaces) on the FortiGate aswell

RaineeO

I have completed the SonicWall inventory and am now working on the plan to configure each item on the Fortigate. The conversion for each of the interfaces must include the Routing Policies, Access Rules, Route Policies and NAT policies just to name a few.  I am working on translating the SonicWall Zones into IP addresses/Services.  That will hopefully get me through the larger part of the conversion.  I would love to have a Fortigate template that would be easy to populate with the SonicWall information.  Looks like I will have one when I am done.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors