Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AltusB
New Contributor

Immediate disconnect when trying to connect to a VPN

Hi

I have a Windows 8.1 64bit machine that used to connect to a VPN with Forti client SSL-VPN. This suddenly stopped working. The connection gets to 98% then shows "connected" very briefly, then shows disconnected. 

No other software was installed on the machine. The user can access the VPN on any other laptop with various versions of the client installed. I have re-installed a couple of versions on the machine with no success. I have created a new profile on the machine to eliminate that possibility of a corrupt local profile. I have followed numerous "internet guides" that promise to fix the issue to no avail.

None of the users can successfully connect to the VPN on this one machine. I have done all I can think of to fix the issue short of reloading Windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
vjoshi_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello,

May I know the Forticlient version installed on the machine?

You will have to uninstall the Forticlient completely and I would recommend using the Forticlient SSL-VPN "sslvpnclient_win_4.4.2303" which can downloaded from your Fortinet support account under Firmware images > Fortigate > V4.3.18 folder

That should fix your issue

Cheers !

Shawn_W

I was having a similar issue.  I will give this a try.  Thanks!

AltusB

vjoshi wrote:

Hello,

May I know the Forticlient version installed on the machine?

You will have to uninstall the Forticlient completely and I would recommend using the Forticlient SSL-VPN "sslvpnclient_win_4.4.2303" which can downloaded from your Fortinet support account under Firmware images > Fortigate > V4.3.18 folder

That should fix your issue

Cheers !

Hi vjoshi

I have already dealt with similar issues on some of our other machines, and you are 100% correct in saying that a complete removal and reload should fix the problem. Normally that would sort out most of our Forticlient issues, but not on this 1 machine. I have tried reloading several versions of the client including various versions of both the full client and the SSL-VPN only client.

At the moment I have removed all traces of Forticlient from the machine as I cannot use it on the machine at all, regardless of the version I try to install.

vjoshi_FTNT
Staff
Staff

There should be an ongoing issue with Windows 8.1 and SSL-VPN connectivity

1. Uninstall clients: for ssl vpn client use Revo uninstaller(you can download this from internet) .Restart the computer. 2. Run cmd as administrator : netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt (perform it 2-3 times.Restart the computer.) 3. Run the attached tool "wan-miniport-repait-v2-x64" and restart computer. 4. Install again ssl vpn client and Forti client and try to connect.

- In one case, this worked with the latest SSL-VPN client version. But in other I had to install the Forticlient  "sslvpnclient64pkg_4.4.2303.tar.gz".

buck
New Contributor

Hi

I have the same problem. Installed latest forticlient on windows 8.1. It connects and disconnect after a min

In the logs I can see SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ. Any help appreciated.

21/02/2015 14:31:44 Debug VPN FortiSslvpn: 8032: write to adapter: try:12 real:12 [size="1"]21/02/2015 14:31:44 Debug VPN FortiSslvpn: 8032: bytes sent:0 bytes recvd:12 [handle_ssl_sock_recv_event][/size] [size="1"]21/02/2015 14:31:44 Debug VPN FortiSslvpn: 8032: [hdlc_decode] new version decoding[/size] [size="1"]21/02/2015 14:31:44 Debug VPN FortiSslvpn: 8032: [hdlc_decode] empty buffer[/size] [size="1"]21/02/2015 14:31:44 Debug VPN FortiSslvpn: 8032: [loop] hdlc_decode: temp:0 out len: 12[/size] 21/02/2015 14:31:44 Debug VPN FortiSslvpn: 8032: try to read again, partial data:0 [size="1"]21/02/2015 14:31:44 Debug VPN FortiSslvpn: 8032: [SSL-IN] buf size = 65540, ptr = 0, space = 65540[/size] [size="1"]21/02/2015 14:31:44 Debug VPN FortiSslvpn: 8032: [SSL-IN] len = -1[/size] [size="1"]21/02/2015 14:31:44 Debug VPN FortiSslvpn: 8032: poll_recv_ssl -> SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ[/size]

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors