Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
oheigl
Contributor II

IPsec Tunnel to FortiAnalyzer with private IP

Hey Guys,

following problem: I have a FAZ VM set up in the azure cloud, and I want to send the logs from the FortiGate to it via IPsec encryption. I configured everything accordingly, but the FAZ drops the IPsec packets from the FortiGate. The azure network settings forward all packets from on ip to the FAZ via destination NAT to it's internal private ip:

351.109183 port1 in 1.2.3.4.500 -> 10.10.10.10.500: udp 512 351.109211 port1 out 10.10.10.10 -> 1.2.3.4: icmp: 10.10.10.10 udp port 500 unreachable

The ike application debug doesn't output anything, I just see the unreachable ICMP packets in the sniffer. Is this situation even supported, or anyway I could debug the problem?

Many thanks!

19 REPLIES 19
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

IKE is not open, you need to allow IKSAMP  protocol access 500/4500udp for the phase1 to pass the SAs. I would double check the  firewall filtering.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
oheigl
Contributor II

Well that's easier said then done, it's a FAZ, it doesn't have any rules? Or am I missing something here? The trace I posted is directly from the FortiAnalzyer, so the packets arrive at the appliance, it just doesn't answer them, although I configured the device to use IPsec

scao_FTNT
Staff
Staff

so on FAZ, you enabled "Secure Connection" for that device and has matching ID (FGT SN) and pre-shared key as FGT side config?

Thanks

Simon

oheigl

Yes exactly, I copy pasted everything, but if I missed something there should be at least an output in the ike debug, but nothing, it's just not answering the packets, can I provide any debug logs that may help?

scao_FTNT

which FAZ version? you can enable below debug on FAZ

diag debug enable

diag deb app ipsec 255

Thanks

Simon

scao_FTNT

by the way, I tested on 5.2 FAZ + 5.2 FGT OK for ipsec, and FGT is using 4500 to connect to FAZ (.59)

2016-10-03 16:28:23: DEBUG: pfkey GETSPI sent: ESP/Tunnel 10.2.112.89[4500]->10.2.112.59[4500]

Thanks

Simon

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

So are these two devices being NAT'd? Also my earlier  post was pertaining  if it going thru any other firewall. Since you have udp/4500 this tells me NAT transversal are involved.

You need to make 100%  sure the localid matches onthe FGT and the  FAZ

e.g

( on FAZ )

config log device

edit  FGTxxxxxxxxx

set  id  FGTxxxxxxxxx               set psk  mystupidkeybetweenFGTFAZ

end

( on the cfg for the FGT )

config log fortianalyzer setting

set localid  FGTxxxxxxxxx

set psk  mystupidkeybetweenFGTFAZ

end

!!!!! if they don't match  YOUR IPSEC WILL NEVER GET GOING!!!!

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
oheigl
Contributor II

Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far. So regarding the command "config log device ...", this isn't available anymore in the 5.4.1 FAZ. Nonetheless, I think I found the issue, it seems to be a bug in the firmware. The interface of the FAZ is set to DHCP, and there is no local listening port, which results in the ICMP message. If I look at the netstat of the FAZ, the only listening port for the IPsec is on the loopback interface:

udp 0 0 127.0.0.1:500 0.0.0.0:*

There is no listening port on the actual interface IP, I guess the VPN daemon starts up before the FAZ acquires an IP from the DHCP. Anybody know how I could restart the process handling the VPN service? I couldn't find a name in the process lists which could have something to do with it, otherwise I would try to kill it and see if it works after that.

Another thing I recognized during the troubleshooting: Why the hell did they remove the IPsec logging in the 5.4 FGT release? How can I be sure that nobody checks on my logs with the usual SSL encryption, there are no options which SSL certificate is used or which certificate the FGT should trust. Are there any options to configure peer certificates?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

yes that was figuratively speaking the cmd are in a DB format but the principle stays the same.

here's my cfg 5.2.x to 5.4.1

config log fortianalyzer setting     set status enable     set server 10.x.x.x <-FAZ target     set encrypt enable     set psksecret ENC JF+HMvPmEbkzK3H77B6ys0ZXh240s+0JXWbJUTrrRdXaJRNDuHpzmQX08FkTAn5uUxO0HNRlS42YgkKj5WF9FD4VdfA9tZJBhos7tFHn4OCJ6vIlTakPB+OAAjX42fgF+u8S2h8/xh+HgKAfA78egDNA8x/2QfDBFMqmjC/rx2+QxwenZz3sHIrbd4mfssQgDrApYg==     set localid "FG3Kxxxxxxxxx" ( match the FAZ )     set source-ip 10.1.1.1 <---FGT peer-ipv4 address, very importtant to set to the correct peer address     set reliable enable end

See screen shot of the FAZ , you can run a diag sniffer packet any " host <FAZ> and proto 14 or 50 > to validate the ipsec tunnel is up. You should see tons of ESP packets  if you have any serious logging rate from the fortigate.

It's really that easy ;)

be advise my  5.4.1 diagnostic vpn tunnel list  does not show the ipsec tunne but you   can  diag vpn tunnel flush-SAD and see the phase1 re-establishing. I believe this is a bug in the cli.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors